True Bypass Wiring

Started by timd, April 06, 2012, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timd

I've been using this for my true bypass:

http://www.sabrotone.com/?attachment_id=594

But, I've been seeing builds lately that have at least one pin of the switch open. Is there one best and easiest way to pull off the true bypass?

edvard

I've always relied on this diagram:
http://beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

Never seen your arrangement before... interesting.
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mremic01

The diagram looks fine to me.

If you have one lug left on the switch, are you grounding the input of your circuitboard when the pedal is switched off? You don't need to do that, but it's good practice.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

darron

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

roseblood11

Search for the file "offboard wiring" amongst the fx projects at tonepad.com.

One variant that's missing there:

zombiwoof

I think the best TB diagram IMO is the one that disconnects the board input in bypass, you can find it in the GGG switch wiring diagrams and other places.  I don't think the versions in the first two links in this thread do this.  The advantage is that it often helps to avoid the popping when switching without the use of pulldown resistors.  It's also shown on the Gauss Markov pages.  This is the way the original Fuzz Face switches were wired, by the way, so they were ahead of the game way back then.

Al

Groovenut

Here's another that I have used with great success. It grounds the input of the circuit when bypassed. Certain circuits that are high output benefit from this to avoid bleed through during bypass.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

zombiwoof

Quote from: Groovenut on April 06, 2012, 01:46:22 PM
Here's another that I have used with great success. It grounds the input of the circuit when bypassed. Certain circuits that are high output benefit from this to avoid bleed through during bypass.

This is the diagram I was referring to in my post, it also often helps avoid popping when the effect is switched (without using pulldown resistors).

Al