Krunk Distortion - too much bass on tone knob

Started by ggsmailroom, April 06, 2012, 01:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggsmailroom

Hey Guys, 2nd build post here -

It sounds fantastic - but for some reason I am not experiencing a good High end introduction on the tone knob until about 80% up, and I also hear a bit of volume increase.

I am using a B10k as instructed to be used per the layout but it says he replaced a C10k that was instructed - perhaps I need to try this? Here is the layout I am using:

No changes to circuit layout in my build - and my traces are all fine, all cuts accounted for, all jumpers accounted for.

Any ideas?
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

ggsmailroom

Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

anchovie

You could try the original reverse-log pot if you have one, or see if changing C7 to 22nF helps at all.

A volume change is to be expected with this type of control as it alters the amount of high-freqency content being dumped to ground.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

petemoore

the tone knob is a variable resistor, you can't go below 0. ohms but perhaps a stop resistor or larger pot value for this variable R value...
   Otherwise revoice the circuit...caps in series w/signal..make them a bit smaller [right at the tone circuit?].
  Some of the caps might be influencing tone in other ways, a schematic is easier to read and ID the relevant components/values.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ggsmailroom

Thanks Anchovie and Pete - I wanted some basic advice before I start going through and fixing stuff.

I figured the 33n might be a bit too bassy, Ill change with 22n and see what happens - if that doesnt work I will put in a different tone pot. It sounds great otherwise!
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services

ggsmailroom

Well, no luck

But I found that by removing the pot and just connecting the two wires from it that I get perfect middle of the road tone with a bit of treble, so I am just saving this one as a 2 knob version

I actually did include sockets on my LEDs - and connected a DPDT 3 way switch to one side that has LED/LED - NONE - LED/1N4148 Diode switching - offers some cool tones!
Pat Garland

Technician, Owner
Garland Guitar Services