Foxx Tone Machine with built RF tuner???????

Started by goldstache, April 08, 2012, 04:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldstache

So I breadboarded this puppy up and it was sort of noisy.  All Radio frequency, especially in the non-octave setting.  I used the PCB at Fuzz Central to build my actual board, and the RF is worse than the bread board.  All my voltages are healthy.  I've tried swapping transistors, and even audio probed around a bit.  There is no RF until you get after the octave diodes.  So is it safe to say it's between octave staging and Q3?  Later amplified by the last stage (post eq)????? 
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I can deal with some noise but this is pretty extreme.  Happy Easter!!!!

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

goldstache

Nope not yet.  However, I did make a makeshift copper foil cage to test for shielding.  And both my in and out jacks are shielded cable.  I just tested the pcb plugged into a bread board with all the controls and jacks and such. 

rousejeremy

goldstache

hardstatic

I have the same issue, noisy as hell.  I figured a Faraday cage would help, but man, this is a lot of noise.  I've reviewed schematics, vero layouts, and the GGG PCB layout to see if there are any discrepancies... everything matches up except this one - http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/foxx/foxxschematic.gif - where the capacitor polarity is reversed on the 'sustain' and 'tone' pots.  There also seems to be some debate on the pulldown resistor whether it's 1M, 1M5, or 4M7.  I think that resistor is just dealing with potential popping in the circuit anyways.

I'm using 2n3904s for the transistors.

Incidentally, I forgot the 1nF cap coming off the Q1 emitter - this made the circuit much quieter; however, is there supposed to be such a huge volume boost in this circuit?  Also, cranking up the tone pot really makes this thing get, well, VERY treble-y and thin sounding.

goldstache

Hardstatic:  When I boxed mine up it got better.  I only get slight traces of RF when the fuzz is on and none with octave up selected.  I did nothing to the circuit to cure the ills.  I did try polarity switching of the caps you described.  I ended up just facing the positive side toward the higher of the voltages that were present on either side.  Though, it made really no difference to the audible tone or noise floor.  Hope she hushes up for you.

rousejeremy

Try running a 100pF cap across the input and ground of the input jack.