Author Topic: 4: Switches/Bypass/Etc....  (Read 173534 times)

bazzwazzle

4: Switches/Bypass/Etc....
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2004, 10:58:13 PM »
ok, read my post above and this ;)

i think i might know how i wired it wrong. How do i know which way to hold the switch to make the right wirings or does that not matter. Cause when holding it at a different angle everything is messed up  :evil:

bazzwazzle

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2004, 01:18:38 PM »
i did wire it wrong  :evil:  i held it so the lug hols are to the side >_< ARG time to rewire!

aron

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2004, 03:24:31 PM »
Yes, that's why I put that picture up above. The "correct" way is to use your multi-meter to test the switch, but for the blue ones I sell, the picture is enough.

badperson

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2004, 03:23:46 PM »
okay, basic question;

i have all the parts for this and I'm going to try to put it together this weekend. What are the ground wires connected to? In other words, the wires that are indicated to go to ground in the diagram, are they soldered onto the enclosure somewhere?

also, again a basic question; does ground mean what it implies, that the circuit dead ends into the "ground" never to be hear from again?

also, to make sure I'm clear, the middle lug on the stereo jack (sleeve) has two wires connected to it, one to ground and the other to the led/switch. Is there anything to be careful of when soldering?

thanks.

bp

aron

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2004, 03:46:56 PM »
All grounds points connect together. This ground point in turn connects to the ground on your guitar cable. And yes, this ground implies - the ground:

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/g/gr/ground__electricity_.html

badperson

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2004, 04:19:24 PM »
k, I see it;

so that ground point near the 47k resistor will have two wires soldered to it; going to the ground lugs on the jacks, right?

thanks!

bp

bluetubes

Re: 4: Switches/Bypass/Etc....
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2005, 05:25:40 PM »
I have a quick question about the wiring of the power based on the picture in this thread.  What would happen if:

1) moved the battery snap positive lead to the middle of the 3PDT switch (Where the LED is currently)
2) moved the LED to the outer lug (where the power was) and connected the board power there as well

Wouldn't switching the effect into bypass mode also turn off the battery and save power?

Just curious,
BT

deadjason

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2005, 12:03:21 PM »
Hi, I'm new here and new to effects building as well (I've been playing and modding guitars for well over 20 years though).  I have a pretty basic question, what is a good manufacturer for mice heavy duty foot switches?  I ordered from Newark, but the only thing they only had a sketch as opposed to a photo.  What looks right in a sketch can be different from what you get.  Looking at Mouser and other similar sites, I figured it's be better if I knew a manufacturer so I can get the right one.  This seems to be a very friendly site, and thanks in advance.

aron

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2005, 02:23:30 PM »
>Wouldn't switching the effect into bypass mode also turn off the battery and save power?

Try it! Usually there's a big fat POP when engaged.

aron

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2005, 02:24:19 PM »
> I have a pretty basic question, what is a good manufacturer for mice heavy duty foot switches?

If you want to order some, check out the store!  ;)

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cart/

Jayco

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 11:16:31 PM »
Here you go.....

Aron...  where you have the ground point located on the photo... is there any problem ground things all along the bottom bar (going between the two resistors)?

I found it easier to take the ground for the two jacks and the ground for the pot and place them through a hole in the perfboard and solder them along that bottom trace... just wanted to make sure that was considered "ok".

Jim

marchfaster

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2006, 01:19:33 PM »
okay so i tried building this, and i checked my circuit board connection its all good...so the problem lies in the wiring.
im not really good with circuitry or anything so im just barely understanding this all
here's my problem though: i have the input/output connections okay the guitar plays in bypass mode...but once i press the switch my LED blinks (its a 6v LED off a 9v battery is that a problem, with a built in resistor) and the only sound that comes out is the electric POP of the LED going on and off...which i can make louder or softer with my potentionmeter. (my guitar makes no noise)
the other problem i have is a loud pop anytime the switch is pressed.
help!

aron

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2006, 04:00:19 PM »
where you have the ground point located on the photo... is there any problem ground things all along the bottom bar (going between the two resistors)?

Never had a problem with any circuit doing it this way.

I've build a lot of hi-gain circuits and they are all fine.

Aron

aron

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »
>the other problem i have is a loud pop anytime the switch is pressed.

It sounds like you have voltage coming out of the pedal - there is definitely some sort of miswiring in your pedal.

In addition, you should probably not use a blinking LED. I did and it made noise as well.

marchfaster

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »
okay, so no blinking LED, so theres to much voltage...meaning i am missing a resistor somewhere correct?
could it be the lack of a resistor before the LED light? or is that not important?

marchfaster

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
this is actually driving me insane!
i've checked everything a bunch, and obviously there's something im missing...
the guitar makes noise when its in bypass mode, but as soon as i hit the switch theres no noise...its all silenced...would that be a problem with the way i have my switch connected?

aron

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2006, 10:01:26 PM »
Can you start a thread in the beginner forum (this forum) and also check this out:

http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

marchfaster

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2006, 10:14:39 PM »
well, i've moved back to pittsburgh for school...i'l be back in march to work on my pedal some more, then i'll try and fix it..

Hiwatt25

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2006, 11:31:52 AM »
I'm brand new to the DIY scene and I have to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for this topic.  My confusion regarding the differences between SPST SPDT etc etc has been mounting for weeks.  I happened upon this forum by way of Analogman's site and when I read this post the clouds parted and the heavens smiled upon me.  Thanks so much for getting me pointed in the right direction!

aron

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »
Great!!!!! Good luck on your next projects!

Aron