Pedal stacking weirdness using a Fuzz Face with a charge pump voltage inverter.

Started by Nocaster Cat, April 14, 2012, 08:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nocaster Cat

So I built a voltage inverter into a FF circuit and for the most part it works great, however I've run into two problems...

1) When I had the FF in a chain with an Analogman AstroTone if the FF was placed before the AstroTone, the last 10% of the AstroTone's fuzz knob acted strangely...the sound got thin and there was a drop in output and fuzz. If I removed the FF, all went back to normal.

2) When I had the FF in a chain with a Fulltone Choralflange, I could hear the CF's osciallation even though the CF was turned off. Turning on the FF only made it worse and this happened with the FF both before and after the CF. Again...if I removed the FF, all went back to normal.

Both issues happen regardless of whether the FF is powered by battery or my Pedal Power 2. I have checked and rechecked my patch cables and they're fine. I have not run into stacking issue with any other pedals (yet). Any thoughts/ideas as why this might be happening? Thanks!

R.G.

Most likely the inverter is leaking high frequency back into the 9V power and ground. The other pedals are picking this up and reacting in their own way.

Probably some local decoupling of the inverter would fix it, if we had any clue what your circuit actually looked like.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Nocaster Cat

Quote from: R.G. on April 15, 2012, 10:15:43 AM
Most likely the inverter is leaking high frequency back into the 9V power and ground. The other pedals are picking this up and reacting in their own way.

Probably some local decoupling of the inverter would fix it, if we had any clue what your circuit actually looked like.

Thanks for the help, here it is.

R.G.

Put a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor between +9V and ground as close to the pins on the MAX1044 as you can get them.   Parallel this with 100uF to 1000uF, also as close to the MAX1044 as you can get it. I think that will help. It's certainly a good place to start.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Nocaster Cat

Quote from: R.G. on April 15, 2012, 08:38:19 PM
Put a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor between +9V and ground as close to the pins on the MAX1044 as you can get them.   Parallel this with 100uF to 1000uF, also as close to the MAX1044 as you can get it. I think that will help. It's certainly a good place to start.

Thank you R.G.

R.G.

No problem. Like all high frequency decoupling, the idea is to use local capacitors as a big "water bucket" so the pulses drawn from the power and ground are satisfied from the local bucket, not a far away source.

There are other things it can be. Let me know how it works.
R.G.