Advice on rehousing a Behringer Vintage Phaser (pics included)

Started by Shawbrook, April 15, 2012, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawbrook

I'm pretty happy with my Behringer Vintage Phaser (VP-1) but it's way too big. To save pedalboard space I want to rehouse it into a regular 1590B enclosure. Before I do this though, I would like some advice from the wise forum members around here so I don't screw it up.  ;D I made some pictures with a crappy camera (some are a little big, sorry for that):

Size comparison.

You can see there's a pretty big waste of space in this pedal.

I've never seen such a switch before. Basically it's a switch that uses a spring to press another switch.

It's attached to the other parts through this little white box, so I don't know how I could replace it by a regular switch. I guess by pressing the spring a little I could fit it in a B enclosure.

Here you can see the PCB for the effect underneath a separate PCB for the jacks and LED (and a lot of glue!).

Also the DC jack is rectangular so I'll have to replace it.

Anyway, my concerns are:
1. The switch with the spring. It's pretty big, so I hope it'll fit in a B enclosure. But like I said before, I probably could press the spring a little so that the switch fits.
2. The jacks are all assembled on a separate PCB. This PCB is too big to fit on the shorter side of a B enclosure, so I'll either have to desolder the jacks from the PCB (which doesn't seem like a good idea) or I'll have to flip the B enclosure ninety degrees and leave it that way.
3. Whatever I do, I'll have to replace the DC jack. This doesn't seem easy though.
Thanks in advance!  :)

defaced

The switch/spring/switch assembly is just a metal actuator which then presses a momentary (normally open probably) switch.  You can find standard looking stomp switches that work just like this at many places.  I know SmallBear sells them.

I'd leave the jack board as it and just rebuild all the connections with new parts in the new enclosure.  The only thing I'd use in the new enclosure is the effect board, I'd remove the pot if necessary to get everything to fit. 
-Mike

Mark Hammer

Actually, given theat I see 6 pins on the daughter board, I think the switch that gets actuated is more like this latching one:
If it is, then you're in great shape to simply replace it with a garden variety DPDT or 3PDT, and simply connect the appropriate wires to the new switch.  As for the power jack, I see no problem with mounting the effect circuit board transverse in a 1590B or 125 type enclosure (i.e., Z-Vex style where the short walls are on the sides, rather than front/back), using a smaller speed knob, and drilling a round hole a little bigger than the power jack so you can fit the plug into it and not have to be concerned with installation of a different kind of jack.

Shawbrook

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 15, 2012, 10:49:24 AM
Actually, given theat I see 6 pins on the daughter board, I think the switch that gets actuated is more like this latching one:
If it is, then you're in great shape to simply replace it with a garden variety DPDT or 3PDT, and simply connect the appropriate wires to the new switch.  As for the power jack, I see no problem with mounting the effect circuit board transverse in a 1590B or 125 type enclosure (i.e., Z-Vex style where the short walls are on the sides, rather than front/back), using a smaller speed knob, and drilling a round hole a little bigger than the power jack so you can fit the plug into it and not have to be concerned with installation of a different kind of jack.

That's clever.  :) But how do I connect the 3DPT switch? Should there be an indication on the PCB?

Quackzed

i was actually taking a look at my vp-1 board for ya, but halfway through, i found this... from soulsonic...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Shawbrook on April 15, 2012, 11:54:43 AM
That's clever.  :) But how do I connect the 3DPT switch? Should there be an indication on the PCB?
Just use two sets of contacts and leave the 3rd set fallow.  If it was 10 years ago, I might encourage you to buy a DPDT instead of springing big bucks for a 3PDT, but these days there is little price difference.

Shawbrook

Thank you all, I'll post some pictures of the result once I'm done. :)