4 in one!! (4 pedals into one box)

Started by foster, April 16, 2012, 12:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foster

Hi to everybody,

I'm new here and this is my first post.

I would like to put 4 pedals that I have into one box to minimize some space on my pedalboard and to get away of some cables and connections.

The pedals should be the following :

1) A boost
2) an OD
3) a Distortion
4) another Distortion

Has anybody of you still have done something similiar?

Eventually where can I find a box (metal of plastic made) for this purpose?

Thank you in advance for your replies!!

Foster

Fender3D

you'll want a metal box 'cause you're talking about high gain effects here.
1590DD is one of Hammond's greatest http://www.hammondmfg.com/,
check eddystone products also...

find other boxes to fit 4 pedals into shouldn't be a greater issue, just dig any major suppliers (RS, Mouser ...) catalog
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Mark Hammer

You can often find "orphan" amplifier switch pedals sitting in a plastic bin in music stores for a reasonable price.  Some are pleasingly well-suited to use for what you describe, especially the ones made from extruded aluminum, with the switches mounted close enough to the front.  I picked up a 3-stomp switch some 20 years back, and recently found it ideal for building myself a 3-effect unit, that I packed a compressor, overdrive, and Rebote 2 delay into.

Also, in view of your intention to build in 2 "distortions", you may be able to get by with a 3-stompswitch unit, and simply use a toggle switch to select between distortion A and B.

Perhaps your bigger challenge will be keeping the various high-gain signals from leaking into each other and causing unwanted oscillations.  Either plan out a fabulously bulletproof layout, or score yourself some thinner-gauge shielded cable.

foster

Quote from: Fender3D on April 16, 2012, 01:03:54 PM
you'll want a metal box 'cause you're talking about high gain effects here.
1590DD is one of Hammond's greatest http://www.hammondmfg.com/,
check eddystone products also...

find other boxes to fit 4 pedals into shouldn't be a greater issue, just dig any major suppliers (RS, Mouser ...) catalog
Great, they have a lot of boxes for this purpose, I've just to check some measures and choose..

Thanks!

Foster

foster

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 16, 2012, 01:22:21 PM
You can often find "orphan" amplifier switch pedals sitting in a plastic bin in music stores for a reasonable price.  Some are pleasingly well-suited to use for what you describe, especially the ones made from extruded aluminum, with the switches mounted close enough to the front.  I picked up a 3-stomp switch some 20 years back, and recently found it ideal for building myself a 3-effect unit, that I packed a compressor, overdrive, and Rebote 2 delay into.

Also, in view of your intention to build in 2 "distortions", you may be able to get by with a 3-stompswitch unit, and simply use a toggle switch to select between distortion A and B.

Perhaps your bigger challenge will be keeping the various high-gain signals from leaking into each other and causing unwanted oscillations.  Either plan out a fabulously bulletproof layout, or score yourself some thinner-gauge shielded cable.
Hello Mark, very interesting your reply,

so how did you managed the signal leakings and the oscillations in your 3 effect unit?

Did you used a particular kind of shielding inside the box or just a good quality cable between an fx and the other?

Thanks!

Foster

Mark Hammer

It's an all-metal chassis, and the footprint of the PCBs is small enough that each one lines up with the stompswitch.  (I'll try and post a picture later tonight)

The linked-to Hammond box provides a fine alternative.  The advantages of the amp footswitches are that the front is usually sloped, some of the holes are already drilled, and they can sometimes be gotten very cheaply.  If all you can find where you live are unsloped units for an outrageous price with the switch holes drilled in the exact wrong spot for installing a board, then go with the DD box.  I was just throwing the idea out there as an option.

foster

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 16, 2012, 02:40:39 PM
It's an all-metal chassis, and the footprint of the PCBs is small enough that each one lines up with the stompswitch.  (I'll try and post a picture later tonight)

The linked-to Hammond box provides a fine alternative.  The advantages of the amp footswitches are that the front is usually sloped, some of the holes are already drilled, and they can sometimes be gotten very cheaply.  If all you can find where you live are unsloped units for an outrageous price with the switch holes drilled in the exact wrong spot for installing a board, then go with the DD box.  I was just throwing the idea out there as an option.
Should be great to see a pic of your unit,

somewhere in my garage I've got a Soldano footswitch remote for an XR88...maybe it could do the job!!

Thanks a lot for the help!

Foster

Mark Hammer

I will add the following caveat, though.  The chances are quite high that an amp footswitch box will use SPST stompswitches, that may well have a much shallower profile than any DPDT or 3PDT you attempt to use.  Indeed, sometimes it is the only way they can mount switches so close to the front on a sloped chassis.  There may or there may not be enough depth for 3PDT switches.  So if you go hunting for a unit, I recommend bringing along your stompswitch of choice to hold up against the side for comparison, just to make sure you have enough clearance.

foster

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 16, 2012, 03:25:00 PM
I will add the following caveat, though.  The chances are quite high that an amp footswitch box will use SPST stompswitches, that may well have a much shallower profile than any DPDT or 3PDT you attempt to use.  Indeed, sometimes it is the only way they can mount switches so close to the front on a sloped chassis.  There may or there may not be enough depth for 3PDT switches.  So if you go hunting for a unit, I recommend bringing along your stompswitch of choice to hold up against the side for comparison, just to make sure you have enough clearance.
I Agree.

Foster

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box

fretzburner

I made this 3 fx in one box and i still can squeeze in 4 fx but the problem is the control knobs.It's already crowded.

Styles

I've just started my 5-in-one (plus a boost and splitter) and the Hammond enclosure is perfect- tons of room for a PSU and everything else without being totally jumbled.  Just finished drilling it out a second ago actually:

Mark Hammer

As promised.  These two pedals were built into amp switch-boxes.  The location of the stompswitches in the 3-in-1 and the Mini-Booster are exactly where they were for the amp switch.  I added a "service/convenience" outlet for the 9v adaptor, so I could just run a short patch cord to a nearby pedal that needed power.

J0K3RX

Here is a triple I did... Switching is kinda different, 2 distortions and 1 overdrive. The OD is always first in the chain... The far left stomp switches between the left and right distortion, the middle switch turns the OD on or off and the far right stomp bypasses the whole pedal.. The LED on the distortions turns red or blue depending on which one you are using.

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

fretzburner

@ JOK3RX what enclosure size is that?Looks like bigger than a 1590 and smaller than a 1590DD.

foster

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 16, 2012, 10:13:42 PM
As promised.  These two pedals were built into amp switch-boxes.  The location of the stompswitches in the 3-in-1 and the Mini-Booster are exactly where they were for the amp switch.  I added a "service/convenience" outlet for the 9v adaptor, so I could just run a short patch cord to a nearby pedal that needed power.

Great Job Mark! It looks exactly as the thing I've imagined to do..the only difference is I have to do it for 4 pedals in one enclosure.

Thanks for the pics!

Foster

foster

Quote from: fretzburner on April 16, 2012, 06:22:15 PM
I made this 3 fx in one box and i still can squeeze in 4 fx but the problem is the control knobs.It's already crowded.

Cool!

Thx

Foster

foster

Quote from: Styles on April 16, 2012, 10:09:28 PM
I've just started my 5-in-one (plus a boost and splitter) and the Hammond enclosure is perfect- tons of room for a PSU and everything else without being totally jumbled.  Just finished drilling it out a second ago actually:

Great, 5 in one..awesome!!

foster

Quote from: J0K3RX on April 16, 2012, 11:43:35 PM
Here is a triple I did... Switching is kinda different, 2 distortions and 1 overdrive. The OD is always first in the chain... The far left stomp switches between the left and right distortion, the middle switch turns the OD on or off and the far right stomp bypasses the whole pedal.. The LED on the distortions turns red or blue depending on which one you are using.

Ingenious!!  Is this an Hammond box?

Thx!

Foster

foster

Thank you all guys for having show me your projects!

At this point, it could be great to see some "guts"..

Thanks!

Foster