Stacking circuits in a single enclosure

Started by 0xeneye, April 16, 2012, 01:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0xeneye

I have two 5" by 7" PCB circuits that I am considering stacking (one on the other) in one large aluminum enclosure to build a two-in-one pedal.  It would save me some considerable cost and space and I can make things more efficient by sharing their power supply. 

Is there any reference material (or suggested hardware) or advice that makes suggestions on stacking PCBs?  I know Boss pedals sometimes just place a sheet of mylar between PCBs to keep things from shorting out, but I have also seen posts between PCBs that rigidly enforce spacing.

Any help appreciated.

Jdansti

I've stacked PCBs.  I save stiff plastic packaging (the kind that you have to cut open with scissors to get to the item inside) and cut it to fit between the PCBs.  My guess is that most stompbox circuits will not have a problem being close to each other.  You could test this on the bench with your two boards.  Regarding the PS, if these two PCBs could be powered in separate enclosures by the same PS, then you should be able to share power inside one enclosure. Just make sure the current draw doesn't exceed the capacity of your PS.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

amptramp

You have some fairly large boards there, so I would prefer the use of posts to prevent the considerable mass of the board from moving around and flexing the wiring.  Blister-pack plastic is good for insulation, but for the size of boards you are talking about (5" x 7"), you need a rigid connection between the boards and the chassis and between the boards themselves.  I have seen some people use right-angle board connectors to feed power and provide spacing.