transform ibanez ZF5 fuzz in a ibanez 850 or OD 9

Started by pixedelisme, April 16, 2012, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixedelisme

Hi !
i bought an ibanez ZF5 for cheap and change the micro switch (thank to the forum)
now i would like to transform this model in a 850 or a OD 9, i used to play in france with this 2 models and there were amazing !!
i didnt' find information on the web so perhaps somebody know the list of composants i have to change ?

jerome

StereoKills

More than likely the changes required would be more than a few component swaps. Likely you would need to make a new PCB and possibly change the potentiometer. Without a link to schematics for these models it is difficult to say, but a fuzz is generally a very different circuit than an overdrive.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

pixedelisme

Quote from: StereoKills on April 16, 2012, 03:19:04 PM
More than likely the changes required would be more than a few component swaps. Likely you would need to make a new PCB and possibly change the potentiometer. Without a link to schematics for these models it is difficult to say, but a fuzz is generally a very different circuit than an overdrive.

Hi, perhaps you are right,
i posted the message because i found informations  in the web that the circuit is near the same but i'm a beginner in DIY, building BYOC clones or modding DS1 with a kit so i think i can 't transform theses pedal only looking at the schematics

Ben N

Do you mean the Soundtank FZ5 "Sixties Fuzz?" If so, it's pretty much a buffered Big Muff Pi variant with too-small coupling caps, backwards cap values in the tone stack and IIRC a JFET follower in front of the tone stack. Which is to say, not far off from an OD-9 or 850, which share the same basic topology. I think the values may be closer to the OD-9 to start. It wont be worth your while to really duplicate those pedals on this platform, because there would be so many changes that it would be easier to build from scratch (possibly using one of the many BMP pcbs available out there), but with some tinkering you may be able to get close. All of these schematics are a mere Google search away.
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Ibanez_OD-850_Overdrive_1974.gif
http://www.cruachan-audio.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/schems/od9.PNG
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=956
  • SUPPORTER

pixedelisme

yes its the FZ5 (or SF5).
do you think if i compare the 3 schematics and take apart the differents composants i can transform my pedal ?
well the actual sound is very good but i'm interested and have a lot of time

Ben N

IMHO, it isn't really close enough to go for an exact duplicate, but comparing it section by section would at least highlight the differences for you. I'd recommend first thinking in terms of sound. If you're happy with it, leave it. If there is something you might like different--and, having owned a couple of FZ5s, I'd say that it lacks bottom and sounds a bit thin--You can think about modifying it to improve those aspects. As I said above, one place to focus on is coupling caps. In the FZ5 and OD-9, they are .1 uf. In the 850, they are 1 uf. You may find that the larger value is too woolly. Or you may find that the smaller value is too thin. You might try .47 as a compromise, or a combination may work--Mark Hammer recommends going small on the first stage and bigger on subsequent stages, IIRC. All depends what you hear and what you are after (and also on your guitar and amp).

Other things to look at are the values in the tone stack (try modelling them in Duncan's tone stack calculator to compare, but make sure to account for the different impedances feeding the tone stack--the FZ5 is the only one with a buffer); the smoothing filters in the feedback loops of the clipping stages, and the and the emitter resistors on each of the gain stages.

BTW, if you think you are going to be swapping things in and out more than once, I recommend soldering in sockets. This will save you time and avoid the risk of lifting solder traces.
  • SUPPORTER

pixedelisme