Radio Shack boards

Started by timd, April 16, 2012, 09:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timd

I've pretty much been able to find great deals on all pedal making stuff I need except one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102846#

I do a lot of work with IC's, and I love the breadboardy way this feels. So far, I haven't been able to find a another option. Even with cutting these boards in half or in 3's, I still want to find something very similar for less than $3.19 per.          

jrod

garcho

I like BusBoard Prototype Systems' boards. They're just like breadboards. Not cheaper than RS, but higher quality and more variety.

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

petey twofinger

i believe they sell those types at frys ^

i have never tried em though , i do seem to remember they looked really nice , but $$ .

personally i went from RS boards to vero or stripboard from tayda and i really like the stipboard . cutting it is a bit of a hassle , its toxic stuff , i use a box cutter type knife with a thick blade , snap-break it on the table edge , then file it smooth .

i have yet to bridge a connection on it . i do find it much easier to work with / solder . the last one i did i labeled it " A - J "  on one side , and " 1 - 13 " on the top row . this , i shoulda been doing this all along .

for trace cuts i use a drill bit , like a lil under a quarter inch and twist that 3x half turns by hand .

i do clean the oxidation off the copper with a green kitchen scrubie first  .

i have the 6 dollar RS  yellow handled accessories set of soldering accessories , they work great for running thru the gaps , and it has a wire brush for cleaning up the chunks / debris after cutting traces .the heat sink clip is nice for trannies . 

my failure / debug rate is way down with this setup , but , it is pretty noobish .  :icon_redface:
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Mark Hammer

The pad-per-hole stuff that Steve Daniels has custom made for Small Bear is really lovely, and comes pre-tinned so you don't have to fight to get a good solder joint.  I see from the store website that the Forum here is carrying some pre-tinned stripboard custom made for forumites by the same manufacturer to what I gather are the same high standards.  I realize a couple pennies here and there can matetr more to some than others, but this custom stuff is really several notches above what Radio Shack gets made for them.  Better board, better pads, better prepping.

Earthscum

I always wanted strips of busboard. How nice would it be to just cut off 10 rows from a 12 inch stick for a smokey and toss the rest in your drawer... I actually burn my own perfoard strips like that. 1.5 inches wide, 15 holes, by 6 inch lengths. Handy to have around, and it's a healthy size for me to prototype on.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum