ck901 pinout / datasheet?

Started by darron, April 17, 2012, 10:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

I was thinking of using one of these to make the world's coolest fuzz... With all the mojo trimmings of course. I can't work out the pinouts? I think it had 7 or 8 legs which confuses me. Two of them seem to be linked. It's not a metal case so I'm baffled what they are for.

Went over it with my atlas/peak tester and it can only find diode networks in certain combinations.

Can anybody shed some light?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

darron

No takers? If the experts here don't know then I have no hope of finding it...

For those who don't know it, it's a dual pnp germanium can by Raytheon.

LucifersTrip

for all my dual+ transistors, I've been able to find ebc very easy by trial and error with the Peak. If you can't get a 3-combo that shows as a transistor on the Peak, it's most likely dead (or not a "standard" transistor?)

on the other hand, Raytheons are very collectible and a dual germanium Raytheon would be insanely rare and a working one would be worth $100+

...and the chance the gains and leakages would give you a good fuzz would be very low. That thing is from 1959.

After building a dual silicon Fuzz Face...
http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/fuzzface-mono-perf.jpg

...I searched for dual germaniums then and the cheapest I found on a set sale list was indeed over $100, but one went for $40+ on eBay.  The one you have was one I saw listed in someone's collection:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=91143.0
http://www.transparentsound.com/transistors/vintage-transistors/raytheon/raytheon.htm

always think outside the box

darron

cool idea with the silicon non FF. someone beat me to it! i saw those motorola ones on ebay a while ago i think...

dang... guess she's dead. i tried every combination where the three legs would be in a row. i was interested in a pinout or data sheet because of the two extra legs too, and two legs that are connected. i couldn't even say they are to the case because it's a plastic can. maybe they are there for pin layout like EBCE or CBCE or something...

wonder what causes these guys to die? just sitting there unused... maybe the resin shifts around. still found the diode networks though.

back into my collection it goes! it's definitely a favourite. i figure i could justify using it if i made something TOP KNOTCH and classy, that would be the best use for the transistor(s) other than sitting around for historic remembrance...

LucifersTrip

It may not be good for a fuzz, but I wouldn't totally write it off as dead. I'm not an expert and there are many configurations of transistors.

I can tell you this. I have a bag labeled DOA, with about 40-50 dead germaniums and there are 3 things that are common in those that the Peak will show when connecting leads to only BC or BE.

1) a "short" between 2 lugs (I doubt you should ever get that)
2) "no component connected" (not good if BC or BE)
3) if "diode junction", it'll show a much higher fwd voltage than ge should be (.7, .8 or even over 1v instead of average .2 - .4)

note: for #2 you will get "no component connected" if you connect between EC, so you should get some of those (but prob not alot) when trying 2 random lugs

i'll prob have more dual trans in my upcoming garage sales...

btw,in that link I sent above of that guy's tran collection, he's actually looking for the datasheet, too.

darron

i got a couple of diode junctions... that's good news, thanks! it looks in great condition, so i can't see why it might be dead.

well. i'll put it aside back in its box. if i ever want to use it i'll have to get out the bread board and use trial and error. though, ge transistors from that time blow faster than fuses so maybe i won't... especially not know which pins to start with out of 8.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: darron on April 19, 2012, 08:22:48 PM
i got a couple of diode junctions... that's good news, thanks! it looks in great condition, so i can't see why it might be dead.

defect, age or already used & blown....you didn't get any "short" messages on the peak or an inordinate amount of "no component connected" hopefully...

well. i'll put it aside back in its box. if i ever want to use it i'll have to get out the bread board and use trial and error.
though, ge transistors from that time blow faster than fuses so maybe i won't... especially not know which pins to start with out of 8.

I have to say if you can't figure it out on the Peak, the breadboard'll be tougher...

you might even be able to sell a dead one for $40+ to archivists or collectors.

darron

Quote from: LucifersTrip on April 19, 2012, 04:57:31 AM
3) if "diode junction", it'll show a much higher fwd voltage than ge should be (.7, .8 or even over 1v instead of average .2 - .4)

that's good news too because i have stacks and stacks of CK722's that do that! i didn't know the peak classed that way and might misread (:

well, it's a funny thing.. i DID have a short readout, but it was pins from random directions! IE I'll call them pin 1 and pin 5 working around, so not in a series of 3 at all, so not expectedly the same transistor.

thanks for your help. like i said, without being SURE i'll just drop it and maybe revisit this topic in my retirement years if archive.org is still running... hehe (: