Anyone ever seen an MN3214 in the flesh?

Started by Mark Hammer, April 18, 2012, 09:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

The MN3214 was a sort of scaled-back MN3011 BBD, with a max of 1024 stages, and 4 additional taps at 140, 377, 621, and 798 stages.

In all my years, I've never come across one of these, nor seen a commercial product or construction project, using one of these.  Seems like a great chip for making an interesting chorus/flanger/vibrato...if only it was possible to find them.

So, do they actually exist in reality, or only on datasheets?  Is this an "Available only in Akihibara" chip?

Geoff Hunter

Alas I couldn't see any the last time I was in Akihabara :(

I had a good look on the interwebs a few years ago, and I remember seeing some in a stock list somewhere on a eastern website, but never got round to chasing it up.  I should look for it again.

btw Mark, did you ever build something with that mn3011 that you had?  I've had a long term project brewing in my head for a long time, and would like to run something past you if you are interested?

Mark Hammer

Fingers crossed that 4 years has resulted in some of these being unearthed.

So, has anybody ever seen one?  Are they possible to buy?

Fat Bob

I have one! I pulled it out of an old organ. There was also 5 mn3209's and several NE571's in there too.

The organ was from the 90's with flat solidstate type switches all over it. They are free many times on
Craig's list. Lots of good parts inside.

I'm not sure I will ever use it. If you want it Mark I'll send it to you.

Mark Hammer

Holy frijoles, Batman!   :icon_eek:

I'd love to have one.  First let me see if there are any local opportunities to experience the pleasure of finding one of those chip-rich boards.  What was the organ brand?  I see older console organs for peanuts, and often for free, on our local Craigslist equivalent.

Fat Bob

I have the plate here somewhere. Here it is "KAWAI SR5".

It was a bit cheezy but has 2 12" speakers in a sealed box
and a 2x50W powersupply as well as a few other usefull bits.

Rob Strand

It was a dark night and I could hear a distant echo.  I went out to see what it was.   In the darkness I trod on something spiky.  I'm sure it was a MN3214.  In the morning it was gone.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

StephenGiles

By the same token, has anyone ever seen an (a) SAD 2000 in the flesh?        37.5 KB    EHmemman_SAD2000.gif                                                           

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

StephenGiles

I took a sly copy of that when working late at EH UK back in 1980!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

Boy, that's a weird one.  As Memory Mans go, not much to commend it, other than rarity.  The R5101 (AKA SAD-2000) has 2000 stages, more than an SAD-1024, but less than half of an MN3005 or SAD4096.

I would imagine it was not an especially big seller, if it ever reached market.  I gather the initials in the upper left corner were Howard Davis's.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 24, 2019, 07:15:20 PM
Boy, that's a weird one.  As Memory Mans go, not much to commend it, other than rarity.  The R5101 (AKA SAD-2000) has 2000 stages, more than an SAD-1024, but less than half of an MN3005 or SAD4096.

I would imagine it was not an especially big seller, if it ever reached market.  I gather the initials in the upper left corner were Howard Davis's.

HD - yes looks like Howard Davis.

Rob Strand

QuoteAs Memory Mans go, not much to commend it, other than rarity.
I can just see someone buying up all the SAD-2000's then making a "Lost Memory Man" model to sell on Ebay (or Reverb).
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

nepalnt21

i would LOVE to see what comes of this mn3214; mark, have you any updates?

i might have to start scouring the online markets for this weird old organ. my bbd collection is growing fast, im like a madman!

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 24, 2019, 07:15:20 PM

It's got 4 knobs and it's dated as July '77 where as the 4 knob 4 x SAD1024 version schematic which is the familiar model is dated as January '78 so it got superseded quickly if it did ever come out, I assume because of the arrival of the NE571 on the scene.

I know a collector of obscure EHX pedals, I'll ask him if he has one.

My main question about it though is... what else does Stephen have hidden away ???

Rob Strand

QuoteMy main question about it though is... what else does Stephen have hidden away
Yeah, he always seems to pull another one out of the bag.

Nothing up my sleeve ...

StephenGiles

0.3 MB    DrawmerDS404b.jpg                                                             

Could be some mileage in this!

StephenGiles

67.1 KB    EHspace_proto2.jpg                                                                                                         

Scruffie

Still trying to work out that dynamic triggered filter ;)

StephenGiles

Quote from: Scruffie on February 17, 2019, 01:02:42 PM
Still trying to work out that dynamic triggered filter ;)

I'm still convinced the Space Drum hold secrets yet to be discovered!