Started by mr_deadmaxxx, April 18, 2012, 10:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_deadmaxxx

guitar amplifier speaker cabinet.

closed or open?  ???

pros and cons?

thanks..

FiveseveN

In an open cabinet, wavelengths long enoug will "circle around" the back and, being out-of-phase, will cancel out (with 6 dB/octave IIRC). The others might reflect (depending what they encounter along the way) and disperse. So in a nutshell, (much) less bass, more percieved volume and less "directionality", it would seem to "fill the room" more, if one is playing in a relatively small and reflective room.
Also, because its movement is not impeded by a springy volume of air behind it, you can more readily push a speaker to its limits in an open cab (which I guess could also be considered a good thing).
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Le québécois

you probably already know but just in case :
some CAB have removeable back plate so you can choose in fct. of the selected speakers. Some speaker are made for close back ''only'' while other will sound ''great'' in both type of cab.

jafo

It depends... but what doesn't? It depends on the amp, the guitar, the room, the band, and ultimately, on the mix: sometimes you want more bass, sometimes you want less. If you have to choose, a weak guitar tone in a great mix beats a great guitar tone in a weak mix. But if you really, really want a huge bottom to your guitar without (sonic) conflict, fire your bass player (or mix him low), and put your foot through the kick drum.
I know that mojo in electronics comes from design, but JFETs make me wonder...