4 LEDS for multi-FX unit, only two work at a time??

Started by Styles, April 18, 2012, 11:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Styles

Hello-

Still pluggin away on my multi fx unit i'm working on.  I started with the LEDs and my plan was to run a single 9v lead to all LEDs and then ground with a single ground wire snaking to the same post on the switch.  Only two LEDS will work at a time now, either the left pair or the right pair- what the heck am I not getting??  Thought this would be a great way to have to run only one 9v and ground for the whole LED setup.  Here's my layout:

Jdansti

Any current limitting resistors in your LED circuit?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Styles

yeah, 1k, and i'm just hooking up to a battery to test right now

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Styles

so sticking one 1k resistor between the PSU and chain of LEDs won't work?  Is that why they only work in pairs?

mremic01

That resistor isn't letting enough current through to light up more than two at a time. Does one LED get dimmer when you turn on a second one? That's what I'd expect would happen if you've got a single resistor between all the LEDs and the power supply. Give each LED its own resistor and they should work independently. If you're using different colors, you might have to mess around with resistor values to keep some LEDs from being a lot brighter than others. I usually use something like 3.9k for reds and 10k or so for blues.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

Gurner

yes on resistor per LED is necessary. Assuming your colour scheme is correct, this will get you in the ballpark at in or around 8-10mA per LED...

Yellow LED use a 1k resistor

Red LED use a 1 k resistor

White LED use a 680R resistor

Blue LED use a 680R resistor

If you want them brighter, then lower the values a bit.

Styles

oh duh, this totally makes sense why this isn't working..rather than one resistor before the whole chain, i needed to do this instead:

thanks so much for the help!!