Help With DOD Resistance Mixer 240?.

Started by zombiwoof, April 22, 2012, 11:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

I recently won an auction for a vintage DOD Resistance Mixer (240), the older style that is grey MXR-size case with green graphics.  Really solid case, great quality smooth CTS pots and in mint condition with the box.  This mini-mixer has 4 inputs and 1 output with volume pots on each channel (also can be used in reverse, using the single jack as an input and sending the signal to 4 outputs).

When I was checking it out, I noticed something strange.  The single input/output only worked with a mono cord if I plugged the cord in one click, when fully inserted (two clicks) there was no sound.  This suggested to me that the single in/out was a stereo (TRS plug) jack, which I found was true when I opened up the box.  I also noticed there are resistors as the connections from the pot wiper to one lug of the single in/out jack.  I have tried to find any info about this thing without success, there is no mention anywhere of a stereo in/out jack and DOD doesn't have a manual available for it any more.  If anyone has one of these little mixers, could you please open it up and see if the single stereo jack and the resistors are stock to this model.  I'm thinking someone has modded this with the stereo jack and possibly the resistors for some specific use.  I can't believe it would be designed so you only plug a mono cord in one click to use the output, and I've never seen any mention of use with a TRS plug stereo cord.

I'm trying to decide whether to send it back or possibly mod it back to original specs if it indeed has been modified.  I'm torn, as it is in very nice condition.  By the way, it is not powered at all, it's just a straight "4-in/1-out" (or "1-in/4-out") mixer with volume pots.  What could be the reason for the resistors connecting the pots to the output jack?.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

Ben N

I've had a couple of them, and I don't think the stereo jack is stock. BTW, these things are very lossy. Depending on where and how you plan to use it, you might want to think about squeezing a small active mixer circuit in there
  • SUPPORTER

zombiwoof

Quote from: Ben N on April 23, 2012, 06:01:35 AM
I've had a couple of them, and I don't think the stereo jack is stock. BTW, these things are very lossy. Depending on where and how you plan to use it, you might want to think about squeezing a small active mixer circuit in there

Thanks for the info.  I didn't think the stereo jack could be stock, and I can't figure out why the resistors are in there (wouldn't they cut down the signal going through the mixer?).  I really think it was modded for a specific function, maybe to use with headphones from a mono source or something.  I'm torn about returning it, as it is the older version, and is in great shape cosmetically (the pots turn very smoothly, and I think you could run over the case with your car and it wouldn't do any damage), but just don't know if I want to take the time to return it to stock configuration.  The seller didn't seem to know anything about it being modded, and has offered to refund my payment.  I'm leaning toward returning it, but wanted to make sure that is has been modded as I suspect.

Thanks,
Al

Ben N

I may still have one of them, but if so it's packed away in some boxes. If I get a chance I'll see if I can find it.
  • SUPPORTER

ashcat_lt

Mine has resistors like that.  They're there mostly to isolate the outputs feeding it from one another.  Yes, as mentioned earlier, it's a lossy mixer.  I don't know where mine is or I'd check the jack.  Did somebody try to fix it and connect the hot output to the ring, rather than the tip?