Anyone help with increasing gain/overdrive on peavey amp?

Started by KH602, April 23, 2012, 09:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KH602

Hi there,

I am just wanting to find out how i can tweak this peavey amp on the lead channel for
more gain/overdrive? I am not one for knowing much about modifying amps.

The clean channel is fine, just the lead channel seems to be lacking in ummphhh and drive.

Would be greatful if anyone could help

Mark Hammer

What you want is NOT necessarily more gain, although that might help.  It seems what you want is more distortion.

Which model amp is it?  If you posted any schems, they're not showing up for me.

KH602

its a peavey ranger 212. i posted the preamp section of the schematic. i can try upload it again.
i thought peavey/fender/mesa where all similar based, so i was hoping to get the lead on ranger abit
heavier, was just wondering if any ideas could be suggested to tweak the amp lead channel

CynicalMan

The first thing I'd try is increasing C30 to 10u or so. That will boost the bass a bit for more "ummphhh".

Quackzed

why not build a boost pedal to overdrive the amp...
you can eek a little more gain out of that amp, but not as much as you could by boosting the input...
good booster pedals...
mini-booster, ocd, mosfet boost, muffer, all capable of pushing a tube amp into distortion!
running an amp right where it starts to break up, and adding a booser for overdriving the amp is a time tested way of getting more distortion from an amp without losing the amps inherent tone. its a good and versitile setup. a good eq pedal capable of enough boost is even better because you can eq your signal before the amp and have more control over the tone...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

KH602

yeah i get what you mean, i didnt want to use pedals and try get a natural sounding drive from the amp.
the amps perfectly fine on clean but not enough on the lead channel. stacking the effects up on the rack wah
is not what i am after at this time, just getting more od/distortion from the amp which would work better
with the rack wah