Building a distortomatic III, looking for ideas. official schematic inside.

Started by charmonder, April 28, 2012, 04:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charmonder

Correct me if I'm wrong but going from bottom to top and right to left,
the op amps do the following functions:

IC3 A input buffer,    IC3 B output buffer for the mix of three signals
IC1 A and B clip the signal from input buffer (the oscilliscope shows that it folds the signal in half, octave up fuzz?)
IC2 A selects inverted or normal phase from the first clipping stage.
IC2 B does a volume control for the first clipping stage.

IC1 C and D clip the signal from the first clipping stage, (this stage is identical to the first)
IC2 C selects inverted or normal phase from the csecond clipping stage
IC2 D volume control for the second clipping stage.

Before I get started Id appreciate it if anyone could offer suggestions. I want to try out substitutions for the clipping stages. My plan so far is to use a rotary switch to swap the octave ups to assymetrical overdrives. But it'd be a lot nicer if I didn't have to use another quad op amp. Do you see anything obvious about the diodes in IC1 that I could switch through to get different clipping styles?

Lastly, Im looking for a schematic I could follow to substitute the phase inverters with continuous phase controllers. Ideally I'd like to incorporate a the little labs ibp work alike for the most phase options.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy the DM3 schematic, I wasn't able to find it hosted anywhere online without downloading the stompbox PDF. If anyone has the schematics for distortomatics 7 8 or 9 (10? I dont know how many there are) I'd really like to see them, please send me a message or post them here.
successful transactions with forum members: bcalla, digi2t, and gutsofgold