TU-2 Problems

Started by jomaco, April 29, 2012, 05:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomaco

Hi

My Boss TU-2 has stopped working. It still lights up when I press the footswitch but doesn't pick anything up; the red light just stays on. Has anyone experienced similar problems? Could it just be an issue with the jacks? Pulling the circuit board out allows the tuner to work but when putting it back in again it stops working so perhaps it is a lead? I'm not sure where to go from here - it seems like it should be a simple solution as it is working in a sense but I can't really leave it with the circuit board hanging out - there are no suspect solder joints that I can see. Hope you can help

Cheers

JRB

If I understand you correctly you just have the circuitboard still connected with the original wires when it does work.

What you could do is use a ohm meter to see if you have a connection between your input jack and the board.

If you dont have a ohm meter you could just plug in your guitar, turn on the pedal and move the wires one by one to see if one makes the pedal work/not work. This indicates that the wire is broken and should be replaced.

Mike Burgundy

bad solderjoint, broken wire (often invisible), bad contact, short to ground. Poke around with a match and see if anything reacts - also, use the tuner's output. That'll give you a better indication of sound reaching into the pedal than checking the tuning lights all the time.
I've had a TU-2 "die" in combination with one specific model Neutrik plug. Using other plugs worked perfectly, the Neutrik failed to make the tip connection reliably after a couple of years. Very strange.