Vintage TS9 will not engage - broken switch?

Started by cb, April 29, 2012, 07:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb

I recently acquired a 1983 TS9 off of the bay. It is in gorgeous original condition right down to the JRC4558 chip (dated 1983). The problem is it won't turn on. I supply power (tried an adapter and battery) and all I get is the pass-thru signal. Pressing the switch does nothing - LED does not light and the effect does not engage. Surely some you have encountered this. I'm guessing it's the switch? Can someone please tell me if you've encoutered this and how you fixed it.

BTW, I did a search here, got a lot of results on tube screamers and switches, but no luck on this topic.

R.G.

Unfortunately, this is much like telling your doctor that you have a fever. There are many things inside that circuit which could result in this happening. The doctor would immediately say "OK, we need to run some more tests..."

And you can guess what I'm about to say, yes?  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

cb

RG, first let me say it is an honor to get a reply from a legend such as yourself.  :)

I was thinking it needs to go "on the bench" where I planned to see if it's actually processing the signal to verify that path works. You know, like it's doing the overdrive thing, knobs work, etc.

I have hacked up a guitar cable for just this purpose.

Hope that's what you were thinking too?

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

cb

Ok. I get it. (Haven't been here in a while.)  :-[ I was hoping there was a quick and easy answer like "90% of the time spraying WD-40 in the switch will fix it".

R.G.

Sadly, no, this particular symptom is not that easy. A doctor seeing a patient with square green spots all over them would immediately recognize the trouble as watching too many "I Dream Of Jeanie" reruns; fever is less specific.  :icon_biggrin:

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.