Fender Elite / Clapton Strat preamp - parts substitutions

Started by aion, April 30, 2012, 02:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aion

I'm looking to build a drop-in reproduction of a Fender Elite preamp, which is nearly identical to the original Eric Clapton preamp from back when the EC strats came with Lace Sensors. I have a couple of questions - mostly looking for confirmation on a few things.

Schematics for reference:
Elite: http://www.eledar.net/Music/walnelite/photos/elite%20pre%20schem2.jpg
Clapton: http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/bajaman002/FenderEricClaptonActiveElectronics.jpg

- 2N6429 is a long-obsolete BJT that's used in both schematics. Is there anything special about this in the circuit, or would a 2N5088 work just as well? Only reason I ask is that there are a lot of wacky resistor values (46.4k, 1.28k, etc.) and they may be working together with the transistors in some regard. But the fact that they used a 2N5087 for the PNP means that they would have had access to 2N5088s just as easily, so it gives me a bit of hesitation about using them straight up without asking. From looking at the datasheets, 2N5088 does have a bit lower Hfe than 2N6429. Maybe BC549/550 would be a better choice?

I did find one source for the 2N6429s, so it's not out of the question, but they'd be $2.25 each after shipping and I have dozens of 2N5088s already.

- Speaking of the wacky resistor values... do these do anything special for the circuit? Again, since there are so many different ones used and since they're 1% metal film in the original, it seems like it was a conscious decision - they would have had to go out of their way to choose these values as they are pretty inconvenient. (Then again, Fender didn't really have much of a history with 9v circuits in 1980, so this may have been originally designed by an amp engineer or even outsourced.)

JDoyle

It's a mid boost and as the guitar's freq. range is rather limited, small variations in resistor values, even as simple as using 5% resistors, can throw the frequency of filters way out of whack from that intended.

As for the transistor - sub in any high gain, modern transistor or even use an opamp instead of the crude discrete opamp in the circuit.

Regards,

Jay Doyle

aion