ggg fuzz face 60's and octavia in one box power HELP

Started by tfletchii, April 30, 2012, 02:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfletchii

I'm not seeing any solder bridges. That's why I'm thinking it might be something with the way things are laid out in the late 60's any ideas about what else could be causing the battery to short out other than solder bridges

pinkjimiphoton

guys, dumb newbe question here, and sorry to hijack the thread for a moment,

but couldn't ya just use a charge pump, and run the octave on +9v side and the fuzz on the -9v side?

should be able to put 'em both in the same enclosure then, right? or am i missing something?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

chromesphere

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on May 02, 2012, 07:47:25 PM
guys, dumb newbe question here, and sorry to hijack the thread for a moment,

but couldn't ya just use a charge pump, and run the octave on +9v side and the fuzz on the -9v side?

should be able to put 'em both in the same enclosure then, right? or am i missing something?

Definitely the easiest way imo.  If you use only the -9v section of the madbean roadrage all you need is a MAX1044 or whatever you choose, 3 caps and 1 diode (you can leave one circuit protection diode off, there is one on the -9v output of hte roadrage and usually one on the beginning of the effect circuit your plugging into).

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

pinkjimiphoton

the input/output blocking caps would keep the rest of the circuits isolated i'd imagine, right?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

rrroo

to simplify things, you could also just put the octave section of the octavia (capacitor + transformer + diodes) after the fuzz face (connect it to the collector of q2) and make it switchable. it is not exactly same as octavia but it is a nice octave fuzz. i did my fuzz face this way, also put an adjustable low pass filter before the octave so i can tune between smooth nice octave and wild ear piercing sounds without having to roll down the tone from my guitar.

tfletchii

i'm thinking about going the madbean roadrage route but I already have some nice NPN ge transistors from Small Bear.

rrroo, nice idea about the octavia implemented in the fuzz face. I'll do that on another build for sure.

anyideas on what could be causing the battery short if it isn't a solderbridge?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: tfletchii on May 03, 2012, 09:20:20 AM
anyideas on what could be causing the battery short if it isn't a solderbridge?

The only thing that would cause the battery to short and heat up like that IS a short somewhere in the circuit. Either by solderbridge OR a shorted component/shorted wiring.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

tfletchii

here is a question. My resistor values for the npn transistors i got from small bear are different than the ones in the schematic. I should be alright with them in the board if i go to the pnp transistors that came with the ggg kit, just for trouble shooting purposes. My thought is I'll get it working as a pnp then make the switch to npn. Or should I use the resistors that came from ggg.

R2 33k(GGG) - 27k (SB)
R4 220ohms (ggg) - 680ohms (SB)
R6 100k (ggg) - 110k (SB)

wavley

Quote from: tfletchii on May 03, 2012, 05:08:05 PM
here is a question. My resistor values for the npn transistors i got from small bear are different than the ones in the schematic. I should be alright with them in the board if i go to the pnp transistors that came with the ggg kit, just for trouble shooting purposes. My thought is I'll get it working as a pnp then make the switch to npn. Or should I use the resistors that came from ggg.

R2 33k(GGG) - 27k (SB)
R4 220ohms (ggg) - 680ohms (SB)
R6 100k (ggg) - 110k (SB)

No, you should use the small bear values, they are tuned to bias your transistors properly.  The documentation tells you where to put them.

I would wait until you find your short before you put the expensive transistors in.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

tfletchii

I'll have the small bear resistors in for when I flip it back to npn for sure. My questions was would it matter if I had the small bear resistor values while I'm building it as a pnp with the transistors I got from ggg with the kit. I'm pretty sure it won't matter but thought I'd double check with yall

wavley

Quote from: tfletchii on May 04, 2012, 09:57:34 AM
I'll have the small bear resistors in for when I flip it back to npn for sure. My questions was would it matter if I had the small bear resistor values while I'm building it as a pnp with the transistors I got from ggg with the kit. I'm pretty sure it won't matter but thought I'd double check with yall

Everything except R4 is 10% or less off from the ggg value, the small bear values with the ggg transistors will most likely work just fine, it just won't be optimally biased.

Whatever short you have is your biggest problem now, you probably don't even need the transistors in the sockets right now to find that. Double check your wiring, look for solder bridges, and make sure your caps aren't shorted.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

tfletchii

just an update for anyone interested. I've just about got everything working right. I fixed the battery ground short. The two are in the enclosure and the octavia is working great. I'm having another ground issue with the fuzz face. Which I'll figure out when I get a chance to sit down with it. It has another ground short somewhere. All the controls work correctly but it is barely producing any signal. I have to crank the amp up to hear it.

thanks again to everyone for their help and support

wavley

You may just be mis-biased, check your voltages.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

tfletchii

the only voltage i'm aware of that needs to biased was the collector at Q2. I have it at 4.5v. Is there any where else? This is my first fuzz. thanks again wavley for the support.

wavley

Do you have it running through a switch right now?  Those blue switches can be terrible about passing signal if you over heat them.  There are a good number of threads explaining what voltages you should get where in a fuzz face, I don't know them off the top of my head, just use the search function for that.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

tfletchii

i fixed the battery ground issue. here are my transistor readings.

Q1
C - 0.5
B -  104
E - 0

Q2
C - 4.5
B - 0.5
E - 0.4