Any of you folks include power-thru?

Started by Mark Hammer, April 30, 2012, 03:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Cleaning up the garage the other day, I rediscovered a chassis I had drilled for a quad loop-selector/switching-station.  Once I started installing parts I realized that there was not going to be room on the left side of the box to install a pair of buffered output jacks.  Didn't want to have two holes just sitting there, so I widened them with the step-bit and installed a pair of 2.1mm jacks, reasoning that they would provide an easy means to run a short power patch cable from the loop-selector to a nearby pedal.  The unit now has one power jack on the far right, and two on the far left.

So, do you ever include more than one power jack so that you can daisy chain on a pedal-by-pedal basis?

ashcat_lt

My TB/Feedback looper is completely passive (no LEDs), but is also a filtered power supply with four power outs.  Really convenient!

I built a pedal for my bassist which is a distortion with a clean mix (very much like the Gruntbox, I think, though my own design) with an insert loop on both the distorted and clean "sides".  I built in filtered power outputs so that it could pedal up to four (or more, with daisy chain) pedals in the loops. 

It's a great idea, especially for "utility" boxes which are mostly empty inside, or for things which will be your "main" pedal and will always be on your pedal board no matter what else is going on.

digi2t

Might be cool to have one jack as a seperate positive ground outlet. Just to service any positive ground pedals you may like to use in the loop.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Morocotopo

I don´t usually, but my Korg Pitchblack tuner pedal has one. Really useful, I might add. Saved the day when my daisy chain power cable wasn´t enough for all the pedals in the board.
Morocotopo

Mark Hammer

Given that chassis-mount 2.1mm jacks can finally be gotten for a reasonable price, and given that there is usually some unused space in most pedals, it strikes me as a useful addition .  Worst-case scenario is that it gives you a choice of approach angles for using a daisy chain.

petey twofinger

i was just thinking about doing this the other day , gotta try it now .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

wavley

I've often thought about it so I could use all the right angle power cords I have instead of the a daisy chain (I ran out of power outs) that I run off the power through on my Peterson tuner. 
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Processaurus

I like the two power jacks on the back.  Redundant jacks in general are quite luxurious.  I was thinking it would be nice to have redundant 1/4" in and out jacks on the sides and back, to accommodate any pedalboard cabling situation...

Looks like FMR (the Really Nice Compressor company) did the multiple power jack thing.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 30, 2012, 03:23:05 PM
So, do you ever include more than one power jack so that you can daisy chain on a pedal-by-pedal basis?

The thought never occured to me, but it's a great idea.  :icon_cool:

trixdropd

slacker

I use the one on my TU-2 all the time but, until now, I've never thought of adding one to a DIY pedal.

mremic01

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 30, 2012, 03:23:05 PM

I've been doing this with my multi-fx builds. My goal is to only need one adapter and have all the circuits I want in a single box to cut down on the hassle of having to run so many wires and cables. I just want to have my muti-fx unit and a tuner pedal, so I daisy chain the tuner to the multi-fx. I also have a second input jack on the side of it that I use as a tuner out.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

pinkjimiphoton

i've actually thought about doing that for a while...courtesy power jacks don't take much space, and are a welcome addition.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr