DIY Fender 5E3 - Help needed!

Started by stezza, May 01, 2012, 08:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stezza

Hi all,

I am building a fender 5E3 clone I purchased from STF electronics. I was hoping I wouldn't have to post here until I can completed pics/demo, HOWEVER.... due to the fact that I may be moving back to Australia from North Carolina in the next year or so I opted for the power transformer upgrade. Now my problem is that rather that having 2x black primary wires, I have a black and blue wires, labelled 120V and White and Brown wires labelled 0V (and other primary wires that I don't need). The site says the primaries are "designed to operate with BOTH primary windings engaged" does this mean to connect the black and blue to 120V and the white and brown to ground (via power switch and fuse)? Or perhaps I should just use the black and blue in place of the original black and black?

Here are the wiring diagrams for (similar to) the original:

And my 372BX:

Any help you guys can provide will be really appreciated. I don't want to blow up my PT!!!

R.G.

First: you are aware that messing with this can get you electrocuted, aren't you? And you have evaluated your ability to do this without getting yourself killed, haven't you? Don't mess with this wiring unless you already know you can do it safely.

Next: if the drawing is correct, I would connect 0V (Wht) and 0V (Brn) together, and then connect 120V (Blu) and 120V (Blk) together and consider those to be equal to the black wires on the original. Also: be sure to INSULATE ALL FOUR 110v AND 100v LEADS SEPARATELY!!!!.  Do not let them accidentally touch each other, the chassis, or any other wires.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

stezza

Thanks, R.G. That is what I suspected.

While I have built many pedals, and a few small SS amps, this is my first 120V/tube amp. That is why I decided to spend the extra money and purchase a kit with instructions. However, my problems arose when I upgraded to an export PT, with wiring that deviated from the instructions. I was hoping to receive additional instructions from the person I purchased the kit from regarding wiring the different PT by email.

Thanks for the tips regarding insulating the wiring separately. Can you share your preferred method?

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Greenmachine

"Do not screw up" - now that's funny  :D

stezza

Thanks for the help guys. Especially taking notice of the last tip! If you don't hear from me again, you'll know why!

stezza

I've been given conflicting advice regarding what to do with the center taps of the secondaries. Anyone here built a 5E3 and can help with this? My instructions are not really suitable for a beginner and email support is lacking. This kit is really not for a beginner. Help appreciated!

Ice-9

That transformer has a variety of options ,  from 100v, 110v, 120v by wiring those voltages marked in parallel as in PRR's picture (120v). Alternatively it can be wired for 200v, 220v, 240v by wiring the windings in series as per PRR's picture (240v). Depending on what your mains supply is  wire the primary winding accordingly.

As RG mentions really make sure the spare primary wires are insulated and secured so as not to short out to the chassis., as i expect you know mistakes in this area KILLS.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Jordan A.

Quote from: stezza on May 04, 2012, 11:41:37 AM
I've been given conflicting advice regarding what to do with the center taps of the secondaries. Anyone here built a 5E3 and can help with this? My instructions are not really suitable for a beginner and email support is lacking. This kit is really not for a beginner. Help appreciated!

Do you have a link to the schematic that you are working from?  I know the 5E3 is everywhere, and we can probably make educated and accurate guesses about the secondaries, but I'd rather see exactly what you are seeing rather than assuming too much. 

If you feel like this project is not a good match for your skill level you may want to put it aside until you are more comfortable with it, or try to find a friend/electrician locally that can look over your work.  Tube amps can blow up more dramatically than battery powered stuff.

regards,

jordan

PRR

> wire the primary winding accordingly.

I think today's question is about _secondaries_.

We don't know what "conflicting advice" he's been given. There's several ways that work. They depend critically on other aspects of wiring. Even "educated guesses" could be way wrong.
  • SUPPORTER