4PDT True bypass for stereo chorus?

Started by aballen, May 02, 2012, 10:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

Hey all.  I'm in the middle of building a Small Clone based on the tonepad pcb.  Once of the mods I am putting in is the stereo out.  With the add-on stereo out board.

I did a nice job of hooking it up with pcb headers, and a socket, so I'm not totally committed to this mod, but I really do want it in there.

So my question is:  Can I do true bypass for both outs(they are independent, and out of phase) with a 4PDT?  Does anyone have a layout for how to wire that?

I'm thinking the middle post on the additional pole would go to the out jack(the second one), the top to the stereo board out, and the bottom to the jack in... but I'm not sure it that is ok.  Also it seems like I want the second out to go to ground to avoid popping... so I'm stumped.

So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.

Govmnt_Lacky

Why would you want to true bypass the stereo chorus output?

All you would be doing is sending the same DRY signal out of two jacks  ???

If you are intent on doing this, couldn't you just split the dry signal input to one side of the 4th pole and the other side would be the output from the stereo extension board?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

The simpler choice is to take your "bypassed" signal from the input buffer stage.  So, your stompswitch essentially selects the output from either the two chorus outputs, or the input buffer,  That's a DPDT right there.  Throw on a status LED and you have a 3PDT.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 02, 2012, 11:15:07 AM
The simpler choice is to take your "bypassed" signal from the input buffer stage.  So, your stompswitch essentially selects the output from either the two chorus outputs, or the input buffer,  That's a DPDT right there.  Throw on a status LED and you have a 3PDT.

I'm confused now  ???

I thought the OP was asking for this:

Output 1 = Mono Chorus -OR- Dry input signal
Output 2 = Stereo Chorus -OR- Dry input signal

Did I read it wrong?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

nelson

1 input and two outputs. You could have true bypass and LED with a 3PDT and a Millenium bypass.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

pinkjimiphoton

nelson is right, 3pdt with milenium bypass.

fwiw, on my clone theory, i built the "stereo" option...it is always on on mine, and wet. i used a switching jack to short the stereo output to ground when not being used.

if i DO use it, that output is always chorused...since i just use it in mono, i generally don't worry about it...no need for 4pdt or mil bypass.

that said tho, the original clone theory is just a second jack that is always dry...it's not a "stereo chorus". i would have preferred to build it as original, as the stereo option, tho it sounds nice, just sounds like a pair of small clones more than a clone theory.

i don't think the "stereo" output was even buffered...i think it was hard wired in parallel with the input jack.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

aballen

This is my first stereo pedal, so I may be ignorant on the proper use of a stereo pedal.  I'm not sure I understand the point of having the second channel if I can't turn the effect on and off there as well.

Are you saying when I bypass the first channel that the second automatically gets the same dry signal, or turned off?

Just so you guys know what I'm building here is the link, notice the second board for stereo that is what I am using.
http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=8

I want true bypass, I thought a 4PDT would do the trick.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1073

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: aballen on May 03, 2012, 09:47:35 AM
Are you saying when I bypass the first channel that the second automatically gets the same dry signal, or turned off?

If you wire the circuit (with the stereo add-on board) according to the Tonepad layout, when the circuit is in true bypass, the "stereo" output will have no signal present. The only way to get a "stereo true bypass" would be to tap the dry signal going to the add-on board and run it to a 4PDT switch. This would mean tapping the signal at Point A on the layout. Now, I am not sure if this would indeed be "True Bypass" as you are tapping the signal AFTER IC1a but, that is an access point for the dry signal fed to the stereo portion of the circuit.

aballen

Thanks for the quick response lacky.  I know what to do now.

Hope I did not take time out of your morning routine ;)

In the morning if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

After I remove the ice pack, I use a Deep Pore Cleanser Lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub.

Then I apply an herb mint facial mask which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out, and makes you look older.

Then moisturiser, then an anti-ageing eye balm, followed by a final moisturising protective lotion.

Vince_b

Hey aballen, I have drawn a diagram of how I wired my small clone with a 4pdt to get stereo output.

I hope it helps!

aballen

Thanks Vince this is exactly what I was looking to do.

I can get a dry signal to both outs this way.