tonebender mk2 pro polarity question

Started by kodiakklub, May 02, 2012, 03:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakklub

I understand the PNP/positive ground requirement, but I dont use batteries or a stereo input jack on my pedals. can i not just take the positive wire from the DC jack to the ground plane of the PCB and the shield of the 1/4" jacks? or am i misunderstanding and need to design in a way to flip polarity post-DC jack?

PRR

That works if the power supply is dedicated to this box.

If (or WHEN) you change to one power supply for all your pedals, connect both power and signal cables, the signal grounds short-out the power supply and _nothing_ works.
  • SUPPORTER

kodiakklub

Quote from: PRR on May 02, 2012, 11:22:09 PM
That works if the power supply is dedicated to this box.

If (or WHEN) you change to one power supply for all your pedals, connect both power and signal cables, the signal grounds short-out the power supply and _nothing_ works.

Duh. Theres already DC neg on the 1/4" shield flowing through all the pedals. (smacks forehead) I knew I was missing something totally easy like that. Thank you for making that clear PRR :)

I've always had one power supply i made that feeds all my pedals. even if I ran the tonebender off a battery, is there a way to keep it in the chain with everything else?

PRR

It's not "DC neg"; there's no DC flowing in the signal cables UNLESS you get too tricky with power.

Run the bender on a battery (or separate wart). It will be fine. The DC current flows inside the bender, other DC flows in the other pedals, it's all good.
  • SUPPORTER