Jack Orman's Alternate Wiring Method

Started by amonte, May 03, 2012, 01:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amonte

I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong, but I hope you guys can help.

I built a Hot Cake clone that works well but I was getting oscillations when the pedal was bypassed - a common problem with this circuit.

From what I've read, the solution is to use Jack Orman's alternate wiring method. 

I followed the diagram, but when I attempted to engage the bypass, I got no sound at all.  This made sense to me since it appeared that what I was doing was sending the signal from the input jack tip to ground in bypass mode - I couldn't see how this could ever work.   I figured that I was supposed to ground the sleeve of the input jack in bypass mode, not the tip - though this seemed odd as well since I has the sleeve grounded before that.  Now the pedals doesn't work in either bypass mode or when engaged.

Can someone give me some guidance here?  I don't understand what I'm doing wrong or what to try next with this switch wiring scheme.  Is the idea to ground the input jack or to ground the circuit input in bypass mode? 

amonte

Nevermind, I just studied the diagram again and I get how it works now.  I must have done something wrong.  Will try again tomorrow.

Earthscum

If I remember this wiring right, it's DPDT, center connected to the FX INPUT switches between jack tip, or ground, to ground the effect input during bypass.

The second switch pole is wired so that the center is connected to the output jack tip and switches between the FX OUTPUT and the input jack tip.

ETA: Lol... on my CDOD, I wired the 3PDT 90* off. The space was so tight that I couldn't turn the switch, so I had to get creative, but it works great now. BUT, I got it working after a bit of swearing. Hope you get yours straightened out!
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum