Switchcraft Enclosed Jacks in 1590B

Started by Steve Mavronis, May 04, 2012, 10:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Mavronis

With the Switchcraft 1/4 in. Mono and Stereo Enclosed Jacks, has anyone snipped back the lugs a bit so there is no danger of them touching? I'm thinking about using them and was wondering what others have done about this concern.

In a 1590B enclosure mounted across from each other the overlap the center a bit. You can rotate the jack lug orientation so they offset from each other but always worried if they move enough to contact. For my metal Switchcraft open frame jacks, I use 3/8" inner tooth lock washers so that should help hold them in place - besides insuring good grounding to the enclosure.

Also are electrical properties any different between open and enclosed jacks with thick vs thin metal lugs?
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

midwayfair

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on May 04, 2012, 10:59:24 AM
With the Switchcraft 1/4 in. Mono and Stereo Enclosed Jacks, has anyone snipped back the lugs a bit so there is no danger of them touching? I'm thinking about using them and was wondering what others have done about this concern.

In a 1590B enclosure mounted across from each other the overlap the center a bit. You can rotate the jack lug orientation so they offset from each other but always worried if they move enough to contact. For my metal Switchcraft open frame jacks, I use 3/8" inner tooth lock washers so that should help hold them in place - besides insuring good grounding to the enclosure.

Also are electrical properties any different between open and enclosed jacks with thick vs thin metal lugs?

When I want to go with these jacks, I ofset the in and out slightly. If you make balance the power jack and in or out jack on one side and make a triangle with the other jack, it actually looks kind of nice.

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Steve Mavronis

I don't really want to offset them to keep the look and style I want to maintain. If I do go with them I'll just snip the thin lug ends off giving me clearance in between. Wires should still solder fine. There will still be an opening at the ends to hook the wire to for good mechanical contact when soldering:

Here is a partial 2D graphic mockup but the photo I scaled for the illustration has a slightly different lug style but same length and ignore the LED wiring which I now do with a shorter path:

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

Govmnt_Lacky

I have used the enclosed Switchcraft jacks several times in a 1590B. I line them up across from each other and I find that they are VERY close but, with a little bend here or there you can get them so they will not touch.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

davent

You can always apply heatshrink if you think you think there's a chance of contact being made.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Steve Mavronis

I made myself a little reference diagram in ExpressSCH, based on the Switchcraft enclosed jacks datasheet. Just double checking that the lug identification is correct. Maybe it will help others too: