Acceptable tolerance for substitute transistor

Started by Samnunn92, May 04, 2012, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samnunn92

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum and I'm really getting into repairing and hopefully eventually building my own pedals. However I am a huge newbie so I have hopefully not too stupid a question: I am trying to repair an old Vox 1905 chorus pedal which has one or more failed transistors in it. The transistors that have failed are part number C1815Y but I am having real trouble locating these; apparently they are now obsolete, so I was wondering what would be an acceptable replacement? I was recommended a BU128 by a Digikey tech support rep but am not sure if it will be suitable as a replacement.

C1815Y datasheet: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/53347/FAIRCHILD/KSC1815Y.html

BU128 data info: http://english.electronica-pt.com/db/cross-reference.php?ref=BC128

Thanks a lot!

Sam

R.G.

Those are actually 2SC1815Y, which is the yellow gain group for the 2SC1815. If the 1815 has gone obsolete, I haven't heard. I use them a lot.
Mouser lists them in stock in the green gain group, which is about twice the current gain. I'd grab some from Mouser and whip them in.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

frank_p

Quote from: R.G. on May 04, 2012, 12:34:20 PM
Those are actually 2SC1815Y, which is the yellow gain group for the 2SC1815. If the 1815 has gone obsolete, I haven't heard. I use them a lot.
Mouser lists them in stock in the green gain group, which is about twice the current gain. I'd grab some from Mouser and whip them in.

Where can you find the color code for japanese transistors ?  I have some and don't know where to look to know.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

frank_p

Samnunn92

Hi R.G thanks very much! So it doesn't really matter too much about the gain group then in this application?