ampeg scrambler high pitched whine

Started by kodiakklub, May 04, 2012, 08:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakklub

just built one up based on the tonepad version. I found some actual BC169B's on ebay that came from the UK to make it "dead stock". it sounds amazing except there is a high pitched whine in the 6k-8k range perhaps. even with the volume knob all the way down, you can still here it a bit. the attack knob has no bearing on the whine. i havent  yet experienced a "noisy" transistor, could it be that? could I meter it while its in the circuit? what values am i looking for? thanks all......

PRR

High-pitch whine is usually layout: output too close to input.
  • SUPPORTER

kodiakklub

cant be that unfortunately, they are on opposite sides of the board. its tonepads layout, but i etched the board. so i can rule out it being one of the trannys?

kodiakklub

crazy idea i just had on the subway on the way to work: I reuse my 3pdt footswitches on occasion (this being one of them). could i have nuked the contacts enough internally from reuse that there is a very small potential between the in and the out within the switch? anyone every have this happen to them?

reverberation66

I don't think the switch is the problem

kodiakklub

could this be an oscillation occurring so fast that it causes a squeal/whine? and what would typically cause an oscillation?

kodiakklub

Finally got back to the studio today to debug. Im getting about 215 ohms through the main 100uf filter cap to ground. Anybody think that would do it? I sadly have no cap to replace it at the moment.

kodiakklub

SOLVED!!!::it was indeed the 100uf filter cap. i had one in a muff project i could steal. sounds killer now!!