A question about the AMZ GE Buffer

Started by chromesphere, May 04, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hello to you all!

I have been playing around with the AMZ GE Buffer for more time them i care to acknowledge:

http://www.muzique.com/tech/ge_buff.htm

I have overcome a few hurdles. A thought before the question: I think if your going to incorporate a 3pdt switch with the buffer, it's not worth using a GE unless its leaking beyond use.   Reason being, if you but in a low gain, leaking or non leaking GE, you get a volume drop and its difficult to tell the difference whether its restoring highs or not. "dont use a 3pdt" is an option, but i like to know if its doing anything or not.  And there are obviously better uses for a high gain / non leaking ge tran then a buffer.  And as i have no leaking high gain GE trans, that brings me to the question.

Is there any harm wacking in a 2n3906 (which is pnp) SI tran instead?  Practical tests say "its fine", it's sounds like its doing the same (subtle) job that the high gain GE tran was doing.  I'm just wondering if there is anything, mathically / engineering side of things that could go wrong using that transistor in this circuit instead of a GE?

Thanks for any help!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

PRR

• SUPPORTER

chromesphere

PRR saves the day again :D  Awesome thanks for your help Paul!

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube