tube screamer too treble-y

Started by warmachine, May 07, 2012, 05:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warmachine

Hello good people.
I recently built a ts808 clone by the tonepad schematic.It is working,but the bass drop is just enormous,should it be this way?When I turn the tone knob to the full I get feedback.Tried two different .022uF caps one larger in size,the larger one sounded a tiny bit better.I put in a .33uF cap and sounds much better but it's muddy now,and there is actually too much output when the pedal warms up a bit.
All stock
IC voltages are all fine

NazzTazz

You have a 47nF cap in series with a 4K7 resistor in the clipping opamp's feedback loop. Try putting a 330nF here, instead of 47nF. Should bring more basses.

warmachine

Quote from: NazzTazz on May 07, 2012, 05:54:28 PM
You have a 47nF cap in series with a 4K7 resistor in the clipping opamp's feedback loop. Try putting a 330nF here, instead of 47nF. Should bring more basses.
Hi,thanks for the reply! :)
I could do that but I want to find out why does it sound that harsh in the first place,
since I'm building it for a friend and he would like an original ts808 sound.

slacker

Quote from: warmachine on May 07, 2012, 05:48:25 PM
Tried two different .022uF caps

Don't know if this is just a typo, but they should be 0.22uF caps not 0.022uF.

warmachine

Oh,my bad i should have pointed out that they were input caps :)

iccaros

a tube screamer was created to push a tube amp into overdrive or to boost for solos. It is designed lean towards the highs in nature. When playing leads you want to cut through everything else.

Also a pedal does not sound the same with every amp or guitar, you will have to change things to make it work with your equipment. This is why there are 100's of TS clones out there.. all with a slight EQ difference. 

warmachine

So it's supposed to sound that thin?Alrighty then..

iccaros

in a way, a tube amp pushed will tend to be bass heavy, In my experiences. So this counter acts that, using it in front of a transistor amp or a more modern tube amp could very well sound thin. Plus listed to some 70's and early 80's guitar tone.. they are very thin...  adjust the pots for more bass and you may be happier... or not..

warmachine

Okay guys,I just put a 0.1uF TANTALUM cap and it pretty much fixed it.Previous caps were ceramic.
Thanks for the replies y'all!