Bypass question

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, May 09, 2012, 09:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Looked for this and could not find what I need.

Theory:

2 effects in one box.
Single Input
Single Output
TRUE BYPASS!!

Is there a way of doing this WITHOUT tying both effect outputs together at the Output jack?

Discuss  ;D

P.S. I want an A or B setup. I DO NOT want the effects to run in series.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

R.G.

Thought experiment time.

Imagine that you have two effects in two identical boxes. Both are true bypass. You connect them in series and are very pleased with the sound.

Then you:
(1) remove the cord connecting the output of effect 1 to the input of effect 2
(2) remove the output jack from effect 1 and cut the wires to it, discarding the jack
(3) remove the input jack from effect 2, cutting the wires to the jack and discarding it
(4) hold the two boxes together so the empty hole where the output jack for effect 1 is mated with the empty hole for the input jack of effect 2
(5) weld the two boxes together so the holes still match up
(6) poke the wires which used to connect to the output jack of effect 1 through the hole between the two sections
(7) solder the signal wire from the output of effect 1 to the signal wire to the input of effect 2
(8) solder the two ground wires together
(9) file away the two walls isolating the two sections.

Ta-da!!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: R.G. on May 09, 2012, 09:52:56 AM
Thought experiment time.

Imagine that you have two effects in two identical boxes. Both are true bypass. You connect them in series and are very pleased with the sound.

Then you:
(1) remove the cord connecting the output of effect 1 to the input of effect 2
(2) remove the output jack from effect 1 and cut the wires to it, discarding the jack
(3) remove the input jack from effect 2, cutting the wires to the jack and discarding it
(4) hold the two boxes together so the empty hole where the output jack for effect 1 is mated with the empty hole for the input jack of effect 2
(5) weld the two boxes together so the holes still match up
(6) poke the wires which used to connect to the output jack of effect 1 through the hole between the two sections
(7) solder the signal wire from the output of effect 1 to the signal wire to the input of effect 2
(8) solder the two ground wires together
(9) file away the two walls isolating the two sections.

Ta-da!!

And now you have the two effect in series. Which I don't want.

I want to be able to select EITHER/OR. I do not want them to be on at the same time. And I want the entire effect to be true bypass. I edited the post and you may have been typing as I did that.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

slacker

DPDT switch wire it up like simple truebypass where you jumper between one set of throws, but instead of a jumper your second effect goes in there. That gives you A or B, then another truebypass round the whole thing.

R.G.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 09, 2012, 09:57:10 AM
And now you have the two effect in series. Which I don't want.

I want to be able to select EITHER/OR. I do not want them to be on at the same time. And I want the entire effect to be true bypass. I edited the post and you may have been typing as I did that.
Yep, I did not see the edit.

From a standpoint of the switching logic, the two are equivalent logical functions - which doesn't help you at all, but it's the theoretical back ground which lets you get there.

And slacker's correct with one way to get there - you wire up one DPDT to select an effect, then another that's only a bypass.

It takes two footswitches either way. On the double effects we make, we put the footswitches just far enough apart so you can hit them individually, but also hit them at the same time with one stomp. If one is on, but the other isn't, pressing them both at the same time flips between circuits. Pressing the "on" pedal button is bypass.

But this does give you the option to use them in series. If you want that option locked out, then yes, you need to have one switch be a circuit selector, and the other be bypass/not.

I'm guessing that you'll want LEDs for indicators of what is happening, right?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: R.G. on May 09, 2012, 12:47:05 PM
I'm guessing that you'll want LEDs for indicators of what is happening, right?

You got it!  ;D

I think I have it figured out now.

DPDT to control Effect ON/Bypass. Also, the other pole will route V+ to a shared-anode R/G LED.

3PDT to control which effect is selected. Also, to turn on/off the dual-colored LED.

Think this one is solved. Thank you gentlemen  ;)

CurtisWCole

I  had built one with a 4PDT and A 3PDT so I could ground the inputs of the unused effects properly.

Curtis
Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.
Howard Dietz