Saving images with no white background for etching

Started by rmgFX, May 09, 2012, 04:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmgFX

Hello,
Sorry for the dumb question but I forgot how to save images with no back ground!
I've made a cool design for a rebot delay but I forgot how to save the image with no background.
I'm using photoshop CS5

I want to transfer that to photograph paper.

Regards

mth5044

To delete a white background, I do this (I have CS4 I think, but it can't be too different, right?)

Delete the background layer and merge all the others. Select -> color range. Click the white area and set the fuzziness all the way up. Then hit ok and click the delete button. You should have a grey and white tiled background, meaning no white layer behind. Save as a png file, not jpeg ,because I think jpeg (or is it gif?) will put the white background back. Doesn't matter, png all the way.

Mustachio

Um ... I geuss you could do it the way mth says but it may not work depending on how your layout is set up.

When you start a "New" in photoshop you have the option there to select background contents, If its not on transparent you should always have a background thats a solid.

Fast fix would be to hit ctrl+A to select everything in the file you want to fix then press ctrl+Shift+C to copy all layers then start "New" from the menu and it should already be set on from Clipboard for size etc. This means its pre set up for the size that you copied a second ago. Just look down and make sure its set on transparent background and say ok.

Now paste your image (ctrl+V) that still has white into this new scene. If you double click on this layer you get layer properties and you can use the blend if grey on this layer option and just take the white side of the slider and move it back a few notches this will knock out anything white and leave you with just black.

Thats how I would do it theres probably a buncha more ways too. Hope that helps and good luck!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

rmgFX

Thank you very much guys!
Got it.. I was doing it right but was not doing the printing well.

Best regards,
Rodrigo