Two switches for your Tone Core pedals?

Started by Mark Hammer, May 10, 2012, 10:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Here's the base of one of my Tone Core docks.  If you look at the bottom, you'll see a little space-ship landing pad thing, and just to its right, nearer the edge is a black microswitch.  The shiny disc you see to the left of the board sits right atop the pads you see on the board, and the black plastic armature to its left clips onto the board to hold that disc in place.

The left contact under the microswitch is ground, and the outside pads that the disc sits on are ground.  The elevation of the microswitch is a bit higher than the top of the disc (when in place).  When you press the treadle down a bit, two plungers are moved towards these two sites.  It presses the microswitch, but does not apply enough pressure to force the disc to bend in.  When you press harder, you push the disc inwards, and it makes contact with that center pad, making a clicking sound in the process.

In each case, all you are doing is making a momentary contact with ground.  This is not at all unlike what happens with the treadle in Boss pedals.  What this means is that a person can drill a hole into the side of one of these, install a stereo jack, and run a 3 conductor wire out to a remote switch box that has TWO, count 'em, two momentary footswitches - one for bypass, and one for tap tempo - and hopefully with a feel you like

Neat, huh?

frank_p

The switch is simple but there is quite a lot of parts in there.  I was thinking of opening my only tone dock  I have to see if it was possible, as Ben said, to connect the module to a DIY dock.  But seeing this much electronics is telling me: no, no, no.

Mark Hammer

The connections to separate the tap-tempo (or ramp-up/down if its a Roto-Machine) and bypass are actually reasonably straightforward, though they require a certain degree of delicacy to attach a parallel wire set to.  If I were you, I'd be more concerned about how the hell you were going to drill through the chassis and mount a jack.  I was just trying to show the industrious types that it was do-able.  the same thing that works here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszB3pAGrdw - can also work for the Tone Core series.