Faulty Input / Output Jacks - The Sequel

Started by chromesphere, May 14, 2012, 10:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

You'll have to excuse my strange subject titles, I've had so many problems with electronics i may just be losing my mind.

One of which were faulty jacks.  I made a fault diagnosing video about the problem i was having.  To cut to the chase, the problem ended up being poorly made jacks, tip and sheild shorting out from being "over tightened" (really they weren't over tightened).  First time thats happened, but then the luck im having lately, i wouldnt be surpised if my soldering iron developed a bad atitude and attacked the cat.

Heres the video format of the events that took place. 

Might be some good info in there for people new to the hobby as well.

Paul

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

deadastronaut

hi paul: as soon as i saw that jack i knew the problem...i bought a couple of those cheapo ones...(glad it was ony 2)

as you tighten em the inner sleeve just rips out...really piss poor.

you can't skimp on jacks.....nuetrik's only now!..solid!. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

reverberation66

stuff like that will drive you mad, I pretty much use switchcrafts only these days, they're a little more expensive but I can get them locally for about the same as online.  I had a bad 40106 chip that I just spent a weekend trying to figure out.  Tried everything else, rebuilt part of the circuit...as a last resort popped in a different 40106 and it worked fine.  The weird thing is the bad chip partially worked???  I was about ready to make a noose out of hookup wire. 

chromesphere

It has been such a bad 2-3 weeks of electronics im forcing myself to stay away from anything electronics related for a while.  It's doing my head in...

I have used those jacks before (quite a few times) without a problem.  But 2 in a row?  They are 1.80 at jaycar as well.  Switchcrafts from mammoth are 1.80...and the winner is....

gtr2

cheap jacks drive me nuts!

Now I just stick to switchcrafts open frame or neutriks if I'm using pcb mount.

Josh

chromesphere

The switchcrafts weigh twice as much as those cheap ones in the video.  I was suprised to see the difference with them next to each other.  The nut also slides on smoothly, and after you tighten them both, the switchcraft stays fixed where as i've had the cheap ones loosen over time (or straight away sometimes).  Yeah, its worth the extra 2 dollars per pedal if you ask me.  Not buying those jaycar jacks again.

Paul