Anyone ever modded a Biyang otd-100? Comments or ideas on this pedal?

Started by sixstringthing, May 15, 2012, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixstringthing

Hi everyone!  I hope I'm in the right area and my Q's aren't completely foolish!  I think the Biyang otd-100 could be modded to remove some of the "mud" and other problems it has when it comes off the shelf.  I like that this unit is all metal, has true bypass (allegedly, lol), and has some potential!  The fact that it has a 12AX7 tube could be irrelevant to the modifications as I've been told by a knowledgable someone that the tube does not get "hot" or "pushed" enough to actually function as an overdrive.  Why not eliminate the tube or modify the guts to make it usable?  These are just some newby thoughts.  I would like to see someone here at DIY come up with a design for this pedal....  ANYway folks, thank you for your time and any consideration this thread might be worth!

joegagan

it would be helpful if the original schematic was viewable. this would give a basis for suggesting improvements.

one improvement without looking at the pedal might be better caps. can you take some very detailed photos of the board and interior?
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

sixstringthing

Joe:
Thanks for your time and for looking at this, but I think I'm in over my head here.   I'm just going to bow out of this thread and hopefully find someone who can mod the Biyang for a fee. 
Best of luck to all DIYers. 

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Badanimal

Hi,

first post here

Im thinking about getting one of these pedals meself.

It looks quite a beast for the price.

Depending on which one you buy, the tube heaters run at 6 or 12 volt, but 'the plates run at 240' volts due to a step up transformer inside.

As to whether it should get hot, after looking at some details of 12ax7 / 12au7 it said the '12' designates 12 volt, so would they ever get that hot ?

There a few mods for it.

There is a schematic here for it  http://www.box.net/shared/oy8qgsgnft

It's not mine, i found some mods on another forum. Am i allowed to post details or not ?

Derringer

well, whatever you do, don't swap the great filter capacitor ... unless you can find a fantastic one that is  ;D

Mark Hammer

I always thought "The Great Filter Capacitor" was what audiophiles prayed to, and sacrificed pigeons and goats to.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 23, 2012, 10:10:05 PMI always thought "The Great Filter Capacitor" was what audiophiles prayed to, and sacrificed pigeons and goats to.
Laughed so hard coffee went through my nose. Priceless. Thanks Mark!
BTW; you can satisfy all your cap fetishes and whatever at http://www.badcaps.net/forum/...
Have fun ;D
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Derringer