Positive Ground Oscillation with power supply

Started by Chris oej, May 16, 2012, 07:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris oej

Hi

I've built a Tone bender MKII using OC81Ds (PNP) transistors - with a battery plugged in it sounds perfect. However, when i plug in a 9v power supply i get a high pithed whine - it sounds like something is self oscillating. I assume that this has something to do with the fact that it's positive ground. Below is the wiring setup i've used. I can't work out why this is happening. I've searched through this forum but can't find anything.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_dcj_pnp.gif?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

R.G.

1. Which 9V supply?
2. Do any other pedals share the 9V supply?
3. Is there any internal decoupling of the 9V supply?
4. Are  you *sure* it matches the wiring diagram?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Chris oej

1. Normal 9v, says on it "replacement for Boss and Ibanez" - Output: 9.6V DC   200ma
2. No
3. No
4. yep, definitely wired right.

Could a just be a case of the power not meaning to be used for positive grounding?

Thanks

R.G.

Hmm. Odd.

Question #1 was intended to find out if it was a generic PS not intended for pedals.
Question #2 was intended to find out if it was a cross-loading effect with other pedals, and if it was truly floating.
Question #3 was to find out if it had issues with the internal filter caps.
Question #4 was to find out if it could be a simple wiring error.

None of the answer provides a clear resolution. I would try a different 9V power supply and see if that changed anything. If yes, it's a problem with this power supply and/or the interaction of this power supply with the specific circuit. If no, it's a problem with the pedal circuit inside. In that case, I'd try an internal damping resistor and filter cap of maybe 10-47 ohms and 100uF-470uF.

... and then I'd find my wiring error. But that's how it would happen with me.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

A number of circuits such as the Fuzz Face have no internal decoupling because the battery is assumed to have a sufficiently low impedance and it was originally designed for battery use with wall wart power added later as an afterthought.  If your power comes in via a long cord, there is no local decoupling and oscillation can happen regardless of the decoupling within the wall wart.

LucifersTrip

I've built a hundred fuzzes and the only one so far that does not work well with a Wall Wart (it drops a bit in volume, hisses heavily and the fuzz is not as rich) is a Marshall Supa Fuzz (a Tone bender MKII variant). It also oscillates at full fuzz if the battery is > 9.2v

A filter cap alone didn't help and I haven't got around to that in conjunction with an internal damping resistor

please let us know if you have any luck
always think outside the box