News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Taniwah fuzz

Started by gluedtogether, February 21, 2011, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gluedtogether

Has anyone built the taniwah fuzz?
I am firing up the soldering iron for the first time in a long time.

I have the board from John Lyons.
The post with the layout is here
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72196.0

I can't use the surface mount pots, correct? It looks like it will be backwards. I only have the surface mounted pots left in my stash of parts. Any suggestions on how to work around this?

thanks

Earthscum

I was looking at it... as someone mentioned, you can just mount the pots from the backside, then they would be oriented correctly. Otherwise, just bend the little tabs into loops and use the pots like normal solder lugs with jumpers.

If you mount the pots from the backside, make sure you bend the pins securely where they come through the board on the component side. That will clamp it in place similar to what it does when you mount it normally and keep traces from getting ripped from the board.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

gluedtogether

Thanks, I had it wired backwards. fixed it, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Having very little volume with the pedal.

Anyone get the tani wah wired up and working?

thanks

gluedtogether

Update, got the pedal working. Better late than never. Les free time these days

Sounds fantastic. Great fuzz

I still need to check the volume wiring, it doesn't seem to adjust. I also seemed to have wired the output jack and power supply wrong as I can use this pedal as part of a daisy chain. Shorts the other connections

StereoKills

Looks like the circuit requires +9v and -9v with a 0v ground. Not something you'll get from the standard power supply you're daisy chaining to your other pedals. Use 2 9v batteries or a separate 18v supply. Since the input ring is tied to +9v, I think it's a positive ground circuit - can't find a schematic on google though to verify.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

slacker

Evan's right, it's a positive ground circuit, so you can't use it with the same power supply as other negative ground pedals ie: most pedals. You either need to use a separate supply or use a battery. It doesn't have +9, -9 and ground, not sure why he drew it like that, ground is +9.

It's similar to this http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_sc_b69.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

Yeah, it's a great sounding fuzz, only boutique pedal I've ever bought.

StereoKills

Ah, I see it's the Taniwha fuzz. That explains why I couldn't find any record of it other than this thread :)

gluedtogether

That explains why I had a tough time wiring the switch, I missed that the ground was +9.

I will fool with it tonight

Can I use a polarity reversing plug from visual sounder will it always need to be a separate power supply? The case is too small for a battery

Mich P

I found that in my files :
Mich P.

StereoKills

Quote from: gluedtogether on May 18, 2012, 03:43:36 PM
That explains why I had a tough time wiring the switch, I missed that the ground was +9.

I will fool with it tonight

Can I use a polarity reversing plug from visual sounder will it always need to be a separate power supply? The case is too small for a battery

You'll have to use a separate power supply.

gluedtogether

It's worth it to have a separate power supply. Good sounding fuzz. Thanks

Mich p. thanks for posting the pics. I went vertical on the pots, like the side approach