Valve/Transistor Hybrids for Modern Metal Sounds

Started by cps, May 18, 2012, 12:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cps

Hi,

I recently posted a question regarding schematics for producing a modern metal sound. Thanks for the responses. I'm planning on having a close look at the Dr Boogie and the DieFET pedals.

I was wondering about whether there are any schematics available for hybrid pedals that use valves and JFETs. I know such pedals are commercially available (AMT SS-20, Blackstar HT-DistX, Blackstar HT-Metal, etc.).

Has anyone got a schematic for one of these or something similar.

Cheers,

Chris

Richard6

Check this out: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93936.0
It's based on a Soldano GTO Supercharger and uses a switching power supply to get high voltage to the plates of the tubes.
Is there an exact sound you are going for? The Dr. Boogie does the ultra high gain stuff well but the eq is a little flat. I use a Madbean Bloviator to get a better "modern" tone.

cps

Not sure if I have a particular sound in mind - just doing a bit of exploring at the moment.

All this stems from a recent family function where one of my nephews was asking me about how to get better black metal guitar sounds. I realised that I didn't know much about this at all. Even though I'm more "old school" (Hendrix, Blackmore, Van Halen, etc.) in my tastes I actually like the heaviness of the guitar sounds used in the more recent metal styles. Not sure about the "growl" vocals though!

defaced

The Fryette SAS is over at FSB, it's a tube/SS hybrid pedal.  Basically high gain pedals/amps follow the same basic methodology: cascade gain stages, usually 3 to 5 (with 4 being the most used IME).  So lets take the 4 stage case.  The first stage makes the signal big, it might clip a little, but probably not.  Stage 2 clips the signal a little more. Stage 3 is usually set cold so it heavily clips one side of the waveform.  Stage 4 clips a little more, then feeds the signal to a follower of sorts to drive a tone stack.  Stages 2 and 3 are the most important to have be tube IMO, the rest can be SS with only minor changes in the sound, more notably, it'll be "sharper" or described another way, have a high frequency component that isn't present with tube stages.  If you follow this general approach, you will get a pedal that is in the same basic cluster as what you're interested in.  Details matter if you want something very specific though. 
-Mike

cps

Resynthesis

I think the Boss HM2 was pretty popular amongst black metal bands (especially the Scandiwegian sound)

cps

zambo

I just built a hybrid pedal using lower voltage like 45v on the plates. two 12ax7 and a solid state booster in front. It works pretty good. I think I posted the schematic for it. You could easily tweak one to do more metal sounds. http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97301.0 
I wonder what happens if I .......

DiscoVlad

Quote from: Resynthesis on May 18, 2012, 10:11:23 PM
I think the Boss HM2 was pretty popular amongst black metal bands (especially the Scandiwegian sound)

A dimed HM-2 into a slightly dirty sounding '80s Marshall amp (JCM800?) is the Swedish sound.