Changing a cap value on the Tonebender Mk II

Started by mordechai, May 19, 2012, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

On most of the schematics I've seen for this circuit, the cap separating the Q1 gain stage from the rest of the circuit is a .1uF...what effect would swapping that for a .01uF cap have on the overall tone?  I know that swapping the .01uF output cap for a .1uF WOULD make a big difference, but would a similar effect be felt on that earlier cap?

newfish

Initial thoughts would say that you'd get less bass (and therefore more *push*) into the next stage.

The TB MKII is a trebly-enough beast as it is 'stock' - but 'more top end' may be what you're looking for.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

mordechai

Well, what I am after is just a bit more definition in a live scenario.  I love the regular TBMKII, but I want it to cut through the mix a bit more.  I thought that it might help to emphasize the upper mids a little more with the .01uF in there while still retaining most of the aggressive tone.

If I understand you correctly, though, using a .01uF cap after Q1 to cut the bass down a bit would still "push" the signal more?  I would have thought that more signal going into Q2 would push the Q2/Q3 network a little harder...