tone pad small clone help

Started by jtaormina, May 21, 2012, 08:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtaormina

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a tone pad small clone for a week or so now. I am having trouble getting the thing to work correctly. Here is some info on my build...

No mods.
.0027 cap sub'd with .0022
new battery
tested in and out of an enclosure
disconnected LED
checked every resistor value to resistor chart - all check ok (i doubled checked the 470k vs 470ohm)
checked every cap - no electrolytic caps facing wrong way
checked every cap value - no issues here minus my one sub
checked with a magnifying glass for solder bridges - never saw one (maybe there is but i don't see one, i used a small tool and meter between pins according to schematic)
checked all the voltages according to the various posts here - the only voltages that seem incorrect are the p10 and p11 of the 4047. the are always pegged at 9 v when i know they should be 4 or 4.5.  I have changed out the 4047 and the 3007 but it didn't help.
Oh and i have tweaked on the 100k trim a million times to mix dry and wet signal still nothing.

Does anyone know why my two pins might be pegged at 9 v?

Thanks for the help,
JT

jtaormina

I should mention that regardless of the effect being on or off, i get a straight dry guitar signal though the pedal.  My next step is to pull the trimmer and validate this part of the circuit. I unfortunately do not have a replacement for it.

JT

StereoKills

Before you do that, I would check the switch itself to make sure the contacts are switching inside. Often that is the culprit when stepping on the switch does not change the effect. It is easier than you would think to fry them while soldering.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

jtaormina

Hey thanks for the reply...I checked that out as you indicated..the switch appears to be work ok. Still can't understand what is going on here. I will write down all the voltages and post those soon maybe there is something else that i am missing in another location other than the 4047 voltages that i suspect.

Also i get a nasty pop from this pedal when i engage it the first time after plugging it in.. Does the 1M pull down resistor go after the coupler cap?

JT

jtaormina

ITS ALIVE!! omg am I an idiot. I figured it out (not that anyone cares but me). 

For future reference to all that build this board, if your NOT doing the depth pod mod, you must jumper one side of the 4.7K (Ra) to the 39K resistor connected to pins 1,2, 3 of 4047!!

Cheers!