Starting my own DIY fuzz face

Started by ZonicYouthster, May 22, 2012, 12:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZonicYouthster

Hiya folks!

This is apparently my first box that I'm going to build and I'm making it a fuzz face.
The only problem is, well, lets just say I have a billion questions (not really, just trying to get your attention, ha!) about this work.
Please bear with me, I am a complete novice at this stuff and I normally work on guitars instead of being a mad scientist of creating a stompbox.
So here it goes:

1.) what kind/type/source should I get my beginner-like kit or sites or markets where I should buy my DIY pedal?
I found this website http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=26
I believe this is one of the few stop DIY pedals or fuzz faces to build your own work. If not the best, at least I thought it should be, could you recommend me another?

(Keeping in mind that I haven't brought anything yet. Until I have further completed the first task, I will eventually work on quickly)

2.) I'm not trying to build the ultimate fuzz face, which I already knew it will take forever to build one, but I am steady looking
to build a fuzz face that has knobs that separately controls the volume and/or level, drive, control (for oscillating purposes, which i'll get to later)
Once I have a kit, I probably need guidance of help, or maybe not on building it.
Honestly, I felt like a no-brain loser when I'm typing this questions and help. Even though this is my first stompbox, I still felt embarrassed to ask.

that is all folks, until further question remain about this work I'm concentrating on, I'll keep an update. But for now, I just need an answer about the first and maybe the second task at the same time as well.

REALLY REALLY APPRECIATED YOUR HELP!  :D

ZonicYouthster

forgot to mention about the first task:
on the website, theres an option about the style you get to choose from such as the late 60s, early 70s, or the easy one.
I don't think its much of a concern, depends if I should get that kit, but theres an option on applying the kit with a larger box for like 5 bucks more,
which gives it more room to insert the knob. Is it really much of a case or it doesn't really matter if its big or small because the features I'm trying top fit in
will fit anything.
again, its not much of a concern or if this kit is good. If it is, then should i get it?

again sorry for being an idiot on these forums or the social terms on talking about stompboxes.

superferrite

My first attempt at building a pedal was the GGG Boutique Sixties fuzz.  It worked, sounded great, and was on my board for a while.
It died due to bad soldering but I learned enough about building and myself to forge ahead kit-free for the next couple of years.

Ge transistors are a bitch for the novice in a couple of different ways, and the silicon transistors in the kit sound great. 

Ask yourself whose sound you are trying to emulate, and that might steer you in the right direction.  NOTHING wrong with a silicon FF, if the values are right. 
Psychedelic Garage Metal

joegagan

easyface gives the Ge sound with Si non-complexity.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

wavley

Quote from: joegagan on May 22, 2012, 11:34:15 AM
easyface gives the Ge sound with Si non-complexity.

Which is also available in kit form

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/73-fuzz-tones/101-fuzz-faces?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

Joe's easyface is a really great pedal, I highly recommend it.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Richard6

+1 for the Easy Face. The input cap blend gives this thing a wide range of tones. I've thown in several different transistors in the Q2 spot and I got all of them to work correctly.

LucifersTrip

If you only intend to build one or two pedals, then go for the kit, but if you want to make this a hobby, IMO, a kit is not a good way to start. It's the #1 novice error.

The only thing that will teach you is how to solder. It is paint-by-numbers.

My suggestion is always to breadboard first (even if you have a kit...and the part count is not very high)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-1X-700-Points-Solderless-PCB-Bread-Board-Breadboard-A29-/251064576270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a749d690e

https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm

The parts for breadboarding (transistors, caps, resistors, pots, jacks) will cost less than $5 (the parts on the actual breadboard will cost under 50 cents):
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/StoreFront

You will only need to pick up a couple jacks at first (don't by cheapos. Neutrik , Switchcraft good):
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Plugs%2C+Jacks+and+Fittings
(or if you're in a rush, Radio Shack, but the jacks are not as good)

After you get it sounding the way you want, then worry about soldering, the box, the switch, knobs, etc...

You'll learn alot more and get it sounding much closer to what you like.

good luck
always think outside the box

ZonicYouthster

Lucifierstrip: i would definitely go with taking this as a hobby. But despite that I don't even know how schematics and wiring works at all, I would have to stick, with the easy bake kits. but thanks for the advice! much appreciated!

as for the rest, I am looking for more features on my first pedal, specifically for the late 60s mod on either a larger box or smaller box.
does the eazy face suits as a compatible for featuring more features such as oscillating controls or drives or tone or such?
Much of what I heard, the germanium beats all but a hell of a work to do. Not quite sure about the silicon, or does it suits the same way as the germanium or the eazy face?
however, if all this fails to meet up the requirement, then I'll guess i'll have to study up the 60's or 70s version which I really don't want to. Heck, forget about that but is it possible?

joegagan

There are numerous versions of easyface, i showed the simplest one.
The input cap control version gives nice tone control. The gain control is on all versions.
If you want a wild oscillating fuuz, perhaps a fuzz factory is more what you need.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: ZonicYouthster on May 23, 2012, 01:54:14 PM
Lucifierstrip: i would definitely go with taking this as a hobby. But despite that I don't even know how schematics and wiring works at all

which is precisely why smallbear created the Fuzz Face breadboard link I gave above:
https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm

It's a clear, step-by-step process to breadboard from a schematic.

schematics are basically nothing more than direct, straight line connections between components. you'll be way ahead of the game if you learn schematics at the beginning...

...and joe's right. fuzz factory for oscillation. the factory is a suped up Fuzz Face, anyway....but honestly, not a great first project.

always think outside the box

ZonicYouthster

would you think building a clone factory into one of these easy face options from generalguitargadgets.com works? if so, I might have a plan at that point.