Cheapo bass preamp , in a pedal ?

Started by petey twofinger, May 22, 2012, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey twofinger

i noticed these thiongs on ebay , and they are very affordable .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-band-preamp-EQ-Circuit-set-for-Active-Bass-Pickup-battery-case-potentiometer-/330713788901?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d0013f1e5

i was thinking of getting one and just putting it in a stomp enclosure , rather than mounting it inside a bass . i am curious if this is a bad idea ...

most of them list that they are for active pick ups , i dont think that would matter though , using it on any old pick up ... i really do not know much about PU's .

there is a pot for mixing 2 pick ups on most of these , i thought maybe i could also put in a fuzz circuit and have that run thru that pot , using it as a blend with the straight signal . or just dont even bother with that pot .

i have an 80's headless bass , a river head unicorn , its really small , and would be great for portability , but its tone is very weak , horrible pick ups or something... they are an odd shape pick up , i think it would be a hassle , so , looking for an easy cheap solution .

this one is a lil more $ , but it may be higher quality ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belcat-ROHS-Quality-Active-EQ-For-Bass-Guitar-Active-EQ-Preamp-Circuit-for-Activ-/160783171901?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item256f6c813d

curious if there would be noise issues .

anyone messed with this idea or these units before ?
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

ejbasses

You can put that in an enclosure. Just wire it up like a regular pedal. If you plan on leaving it on all the time, you can skip the bypass switch and just wire it straight to the jacks. You might want to omit the volume and blend controls too since volume is usually controlledmfrom the bass and your running just 1 input so you wont need the blend control for the pickups.

If you find that you need more volume, you could incorporate a clean boost circuit in the box too.
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them

Gurner

This type of thing makes me shudder (not the quality - I've no idea what that'll be like - but the price)...there are 5 pots,  a switch, a circuit (with components), wiring looms & an enclosure (& normally these things come with an alkaline battery!) -  they sell it for $16 (£10) ....now the Ebay retailer is making a profit here, so heaven knows what the person/company that made it gets ....they must also have some superb sourcing arrangements as it would cost most of us that alone in parts!

petey twofinger

i know ... we shall see , eventually , if i decide to follow thru with this . i am surprised no one else here tried this yet .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself