Need intell on Joyo Ultimate Drive

Started by Mark Hammer, May 22, 2012, 11:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I was given one the other day that was in a dysfunctional state.  Unfortunately, I desoldered the stompswitch from the board to do the needed repair.  I've tried searching for a gutshot that let me see how the daughter board with the stompswitch and LED is connected to the main board, but every image I can find shows the connecting ribbon cable twisted around  It sort of looks like some wires cross overbut I can't be sure.

Could any of you good folks tell me if the ribbon cable is just a straight 6-to-6 pad-to-pad connection or something more complicated than that?  I've tried deciphering the board, but these bloody double-sided things are just too damn confusing.

And yes, I know it's basically a Fulltone OCD clone, though it appears to have a Mosfet buffer or something (BS170-based) which I gather the Fulltone does not have.

Toney

Hey Mark, I'd love to hear your take on this once you have it up and running.
Those Joyo pedals are so cheap and reasonably well made (?). Some days I think it would be easier to get rid of everything, buy a set of those, mod a bit and be done with it all  :icon_lol:

Ronan

I have a Joyo octave/fuzz pedal, I'm pretty sure it was straight 6-to-6 pad-to-pad connection. The PCB is not built that strong, one or two component changes in the same holes is about max, so be careful there, other than that, they can be good value IMO.

Mark Hammer

Thanks for the replies.  I've got so damn many overdrives, distortions, and fuzzes, I don't plan on changing anything about this; no real need to.

Paul Marossy

I've never even heard of "Joyo" brand pedals until now. A quick search on ebay turned up 685 items!  :icon_eek:

Bill Mountain

Galego

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 23, 2012, 10:06:15 AM
I've never even heard of "Joyo" brand pedals until now. A quick search on ebay turned up 685 items!  :icon_eek:

While you're searching search for "freekish blues debacle", the whole story is just hilarious.

Earthscum

There was a thread elsewhere on DIYSB about a pedal using the Joyo boards and charging boutique prices. That's how I first heard of them.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum