Resistor 150k Measuring 120k after soldering

Started by rokus666, May 24, 2012, 10:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rokus666

I have put 2 resistors on the board 150k value
Before I have soldered them in they measured 150k and after soldering, both are 120k

Is this a coincidence ?
Should I replace both?

??? ??? ??? ???

please help

Jordan A.

It may well be normal, you usually can't measure resistance in circuit because other resistances appearing in parallel will throw off your reading.

cheers,

jordan

Govmnt_Lacky

Are you measuring the resistors "IN CIRCUIT?"

You will never get an accurate resistance measurement while the resistor is in the circuit. Unless, of course, it is all by itself and not connected to other components at all.

EDIT: Sigh..... Jordan beat me by a few milliseconds  :(
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

rokus666

The 32 resistors are soldered to the board.

There is nothing else on it soldered.  Only those 2 that are 150k measure 120k

It's a maestro brassmaster bought from GGG

R.G.

You really have to pull up one end of the resistor to get an accurate reading, for reasons already mentioned.

It is possible that soldering heat changed the value. This used to be a problem with carbon comp, but is less so with modern resistors.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

LucifersTrip

...as mentioned, the resistance you're measuring "in circuit" includes other components in parallel...which means the resistance "in circuit" can not be larger that the "out of circuit" value...only less.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Electronics/parallel-resistor-calculator.htm
always think outside the box