changing component values on the ROG Peppermill

Started by mordechai, May 27, 2012, 11:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

Please let me know if I understand this right:

1. increasing the value of the .0068uF cap coming off of the BS170 would increase the "boominess" or low end of the signal, and decreasing it would tighten the signal and restrict the low end.

2. same thing with the .047uF cap coming off the JFET -- increasing it would allow more low end, decreasing it would tighten things up.

3. changing the value of the 8.2K resistor between the .047uF and .0022uF cap-to-ground would alter the corner frequency (rolloff) going to the volume pot.

4. would lowering the 250KB Gain pot to a 100KB pot also lower the ceiling on available gain coming off of the MOSFET?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

Davelectro

Yes to 1-4.

BTW, this is a great overdrive tone-wise but i find the minimum available gain is a bit too much. It breaks up rather easily with humbuckers.

mordechai

Thanks for the confirmation.  Still just toying with stuff but I like the circuit's flexibility in terms of modifications.  As for breakup...the demos I've heard seem to have a pretty soft, mild breakup (at least with single coils) until the gain is brought up to about 2-3 o'clock.  Which is perfect for what I want since my amp gets just a touch dirty on it's own (Fender Blues Jr.) so a little more will get me into Mike Campbell territory, hopefully.

mordechai

An additional question -- I am thinking about incorporating a cap blend pot somewhere to vary the character of the overdrive.  Not exactly a "tone" control but more of a "thick" vs. "thin" option.  So which of the caps...the .0068 off the MOSFET or the .047 off of the JFET...would be most beneficial spot to accomodate this mod?