custom drilling service?

Started by mordechai, May 28, 2012, 11:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

Does anyone know of a service that does custom drilling on enclosures provided by their clients?  I have a few hammond boxes I'd like to have drilled, and I don't trust my own hands (or junky drill press). 

trixdropd

PedalpartsPlus does it. Sometimes it takes a while but they haven't let me down.

The Tone God

We have started offering machining services for DIYers. :)

Andrew

Mark Hammer

I can't believe there isn't a machine shop in your vicinity.  There are ALWAYS small businesses that take on such work.

One day, my late father (who was a machinist with a small machine shop) gets a job from someone who wants him to drill out a bunch of holes in a large aluminum panel for a mixing control desk.  Turned out it was for this place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Studio  I never saw it, but only learned about it from him after.  My jaw dropped.  It was just another small-money pick-up gig for my father.

mordechai

Rush recorded a bunch of albums there.  Wow.  Amazing piece of history in your family Mark!

defaced

QuoteI can't believe there isn't a machine shop in your vicinity.  There are ALWAYS small businesses that take on such work.
I always think the same thing.  I think alot of guys are kinda intimidated by it or just don't think about it.  I work with them on a daily basis, so you know how that goes, but anyway. 

As an FYI, depends in what you're looking for (easy and small is good), some places will toss a job like that up on a free machine and do it on the spot.  Other times you'll have to go by their schedule.  General manual machine shop rates in my area are about 45 bucks an hour.  Things like having the layout and centers punched will save them time and you money.  Hand a machinist a drawing and a bare box and you'll pay.  Hand a machinist a box with all the centers punched and the hole sizes called out on the box with marker and you might get a freebie. 
-Mike