a program for manipulating text/font graphics for label artwork?

Started by mordechai, May 29, 2012, 06:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveseveN

...or two minutes in Illustrator:

The font is more condensed than in the example, obviously, but the workflow is there.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

RandomGlitch

+1 for Inkscape.

I use it for everything.. labels on pedals, band posters, presentation diagrams at work...

It's a great program.

JohnForeman

not trying to hijack the thread, but along the same lines.  How does everyone go about getting the correct dimensions for the labels?  i.e.  I want to create a border type label for the top of my pedal, how to i create the boarder the correct size so it fits the size of my enclosure?  short of wasting a bunch of paper with print/adjust/print...  I have gimp and inkscape installed.  not familiar with either one.  I looked around in gimp looking for a way to draw lines based on length and not just free hand.  I wasn't even able to figure out how to set the line thickness.  I will need to spend some time with the tutorials.  I have seen tutorials on how to put the labels on the enclosure, but none on actually creating the labels...

mordechai

Quote from: markeebee on May 31, 2012, 08:45:51 AM
Not wishing to bang on about it, but......this is close, I think.  Took about 30 seconds using WordArt.  The oval is just there to show how the text relates to the shape; with a little more jiggery pokery the text can follow the oval more closely.

Yes, that's really close to what I'm going for.  But I didn't find anythng like that option in the Word Art on my Microsoft Word program...are there options buries in there that I'm not seeing?

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: JohnForeman on June 01, 2012, 07:12:58 AM
not trying to hijack the thread, but along the same lines.  How does everyone go about getting the correct dimensions for the labels?  i.e.  I want to create a border type label for the top of my pedal, how to i create the boarder the correct size so it fits the size of my enclosure?  short of wasting a bunch of paper with print/adjust/print...  I have gimp and inkscape installed.  not familiar with either one.  I looked around in gimp looking for a way to draw lines based on length and not just free hand.  I wasn't even able to figure out how to set the line thickness.  I will need to spend some time with the tutorials.  I have seen tutorials on how to put the labels on the enclosure, but none on actually creating the labels...

I use GIMP and set the default Image/Advanced Options to 300 DPI and Default Grid/Spacing to 30x30 Pixels. That way you can accurately measure things to scale. Just take your real world measurements in inches and multiply times 300 to get the pixels size. I also use snap to grid as needed.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return