Anybody add a buffer circuit to their true-bypass pedals?

Started by Bucksears, May 30, 2012, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

I'm talking about a small buffer board, like the GGG IC Buffer. It's small enough that it could fit inside an enclosure along with the other jacks/board/footswitch.
I'm running several DIY pedals and would like to incorporate buffers in some of them.

Anybody else do this?

Thanks,

kaycee

Sensible enough idea, I did try it a while back (not the same buffer I might add) and for some reason I got popping on switching, then there were other butterflies to chase. You could always make a buffer in one of those mini pedals.

Bucksears

Bumping this - anybody add a buffer to their DIY pedals that would otherwise be true bypass?

iccaros

I don't get it, you mean a buffer that is always in line? in that case its no longer true bypass,
That is not bad, but true bypass is not defined by how you wire the switch, but if any part of the pedal is still in circuit when bypassed.

but do we add buffers? all of the time
do we add them in true bypass? yes, after the switch before the rest of the circuit.

wavley

I've got a pretty tortured signal path on my pedalboard, my solution to battle signal loss was a couple of buffers and splitters built in their own box that are always on.  They fit in small spaces so you can put them is nearly anything, my favorite is a splitter/buffer I built in a Radio Shack TV signal booster box, it's nice and chrome and it really throws folks off that I'm using a TV booster for guitar.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Bucksears

Quote from: iccaros on June 07, 2012, 10:11:22 AM
I don't get it, you mean a buffer that is always in line? in that case its no longer true bypass,
That is not bad, but true bypass is not defined by how you wire the switch, but if any part of the pedal is still in circuit when bypassed.

but do we add buffers? all of the time
do we add them in true bypass? yes, after the switch before the rest of the circuit.

Sorry, I guess I just mean in a pedal that has a 3PDT switch (like we normally use for true bypass switching), does anyone add a small buffer circuit so that when you click the effect off, the footswitch directs it to the buffer circuit and then to the output jack. The GGG IC buffer is really small and would fit off to the side of a typical blue 3PDT switch inside a pedal case.

earthtonesaudio

I still use the 3PDTs that I bought in bulk back in the day, but now I mostly build buffered bypass circuits.  I like to use the switch to kill local oscillators or prevent high gain circuits from feeding back, the buffed output is just a bonus.

runmikeyrun

Quote from: iccaros on June 07, 2012, 10:11:22 AM

I do this- occasionally.  I have a separate box with Jack Orman's buffer in it on a DPDT.  After I build a circuit, I put the buffer in front of the new circuit and switch it in and out, seeing if it makes any difference.  If it does, I build that into the front of the new circuit.  If not, then I box it up and I'm done.  Easy as that!  Jack's circuit is totally transparent, works equally well on bass or guitar, and is literally 5 components- a jfet, and couple of caps/resistors.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Bucksears

Quote from: runmikeyrun on June 07, 2012, 09:18:24 PM
I do this- occasionally.  I have a separate box with Jack Orman's buffer in it on a DPDT.  After I build a circuit, I put the buffer in front of the new circuit and switch it in and out, seeing if it makes any difference.  If it does, I build that into the front of the new circuit.  If not, then I box it up and I'm done.  Easy as that!  Jack's circuit is totally transparent, works equally well on bass or guitar, and is literally 5 components- a jfet, and couple of caps/resistors.

So you're putting the buffer 'pre-effect' (straight from the input jack, before the footswitch) as an 'always on' buffer? Any reason to put it before the circuit rather than after? (i.e. AFTER the footswitch, in front of the output jack)?

Thanks

Morocotopo

I have a Demeter Compulator clone, to wich I added a IC buffer inside, with a switch to have it online or offline. Since the comp is my first pedal in the chain, I can select it to be on or off according to what´s needed. Very useful, specially if all other pedals are true bypass. Only time I switch it off is when using the Fuzz Face, that responds different with a buffer in front.
Also, in my small pedalboard I have one built into the smallest hammond box, footswitchable. I use it to buffer but also as a sort of a "bright" pedal, when I want a darker sound I switch it off, when a brighter sound is needed, I switch it on.
Morocotopo

fuzzymuff

Quote from: Bucksears on May 30, 2012, 10:46:58 AM
I'm talking about a small buffer board, like the GGG IC Buffer. It's small enough that it could fit inside an enclosure along with the other jacks/board/footswitch.
I'm running several DIY pedals and would like to incorporate buffers in some of them.

Anybody else do this?

Thanks,

I'm a bit late on the reply, but someone else maybe asking the same question in this forum.  Here is a buffer that you can simply drop into your existing pedal to add buffer.

Its really easy to build and install, not to mention takes very little space.

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3436241

Kipper4

Thanks for sharing the link i'm gonna add that to the todo list.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Thecomedian

Quote from: kaycee on May 30, 2012, 06:31:11 PM
Sensible enough idea, I did try it a while back (not the same buffer I might add) and for some reason I got popping on switching, then there were other butterflies to chase. You could always make a buffer in one of those mini pedals.

is it the same kind of popping you hear when you plug a guitar into an amp that's already on?
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.