Pots arent working

Started by MrMumbasa, May 30, 2012, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMumbasa

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 31, 2012, 12:16:53 PM
Are you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that you have the Battery snap RED wire going to the correct terminal on the DC jack? Take another look at the DC jack on the Tonepad link and verify. It sounds to me like you have your +9V hookups reversed on the DC jack.

If this is/was the case, then you may have fried some of the components on your PCB  :(

It looks exactly like the diagram.

It IS possible though that the first time i did i made that mistake a fried something...

Is there any way that maybe i can check the components? Resistors are easy to check, the transistors and diodes seems fine, but it would be nice to know if theres a way to check the capacitors and the pots.
Maybe even check the 3PDT switch itself and the DC jack?

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 31, 2012, 12:38:32 PM
Look for solder bridges as I suggested a minute ago. That has happened to me more than once.

I will definitely make note of that and be extra cautious when i put the components back in and clean and check it the board as im doing it.
Korg Pitchblack Tuner-->Dunlop CryBaby Wah-->Digitech Bad Monkey-->Boss BD-2-->Lovepedal Superlead-->Boss EQ-7-->MXR Phase 90-->Boss CE-5-->Boss DD-7-->TC Electronics Nova Delay-->BBE Sonic Stomp

Govmnt_Lacky

Sure!

You can check it ALL... however, you will need a DMM (Digital multi meter) to take the measurements/readings.

Do you have one of these? If not, you will need one to go any further WITHOUT randomly throwing replacement components into the circuit.

Look here for more info: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Jdansti

Don't give up yet!  After re-reading the thread, I understand the following:

1) When using battery, it will send the clean signal to the amp in bypass, but when you take it out of bypass, you get very little signal to the amp. LED lights.

2) When using the 9v PS, it will send the clean signal to the amp in bypass, but when you take it out of bypass, you get a very noisy signal to the amp. LED does not light.

Let us know if I understand correctly.

Also, check to see if you have a negative center PS. The power and circuit is expecting a center negative connection. Put your negative DVM probe on the tip of the PS plug and the positive probe on the outer portion of the plug. You should see about 9.5VDC. If you see about 9.5 VDC, but there is a negative (-) sign, you have a positive center PS and you may have fried something on the board.

You can also look at the writing on the PS. It should have a symbol like this:

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...